Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
proitalia sales told me original ducati extended warranty suck and he told me to go for "western service contract corp" instead.

has anyone here have an idea how bad ducati extended warranty is or how good is western service contract corp??

many thanks!!

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
3rd party exgtended warranties are very high risk. Just ask the lucky owners of warranty gold contracts (they went one of the chapters and didn't pay off on claims). You need to investigate them with BBB's, see how they underwrite their coverage, etc. Actually, the safest policies are the genuine ones (Ducate, Ford, etc.) but the cost more. The dealerships often try to sell a 3rd party cause they can make a lot more on them.

IMHO, the cost of the coverage through Ducati is very reasonable, if you were to go with one, go with them. The real question is if they would pay off with any mods done. Dealerships (at least mine) seem to indicate they won't pay **** if you do mods yourself, but if they do them they would cover. We are talking just slip ons here etc, nothing major. They may look for any excuse to get out of it.

Any others have experience with Ducati and or dealsers denying warranty work because of simple mods (slip ons, emissions removal).

·
Registered
376 Posts
I don't really know all that much about the Ducati extended warranty, but in my experience (5 years dealing with people and broken vehicles), I've seen way too many people get screwed by extended warranties, I agree that 3rd party warranties are a lot riskier than factory extended warranties, but I think that as long as maintenance is kept up, a warranty is a waste of money. It has a lot to do with a person's personality type, I feel that most people pay much more for extended warranties than they ever get in service, and if you are prone to using the warranty the typical dealership will try to worm around the specifics, and/or find things that aren't covered by the warranty are broken (even if they really aren't). I've seen lots of people with things like transmissions with bearings that are out of them, and it says right in the extended warranty paperwork that things like bearings are not covered, so they have to pony up the $$$ for a new transmission :mad:. If I'd seen it once, I wouldn't think too much about the problem, but I've seen it dozens of times. So long story short, (or long in this case) read the fine print, and maybe set aside the money you'd use to buy the extended warranty and hopefully not need it. Just my .02 cents, and my experiences are with cars not motorcycles, so maybe I'm way off.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
sound scary, but how come a ducati dealership says to me "DUCATI EXTENDED WARRANTY SUCK"??

·
Registered
129 Posts
It was my experience in the car business that makes me think that extended warranties are just another profit stream for the company. The company(who built the bike and knows the chances of items breaking, by looking at the data from warranty work claims) is betting with you that somthing wont break. Here's the rub, I'm not saying that your bike wont need extended warranty work, but chances are it wont. Otherwise the company wouldn't sell you the policy. Now if buying the policy will make you sleep better, get it. But don't modify the bike in any way yourself. Have the dealer do it and get it in writing, that in the event of a problem they will honor the warranty. Have the owner or service manager sign it with a witness!

·
Premium Member
739 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've never been a believer in extended warranties for electronics and home appliances but when my Duc gets to the end of it's 2 year warranty in Oct, I will most likely pay to extend it. I've brought it in for the starter solenoid when I first got it and will be bringing it in for the temp gauge and a few other things this weekend. It may not be worth it for everyone but I would get it for my peace of mind because I'm not too mechanically inclined.
And I'd probably go with Ducati and not the 3rd party.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Very odd, when I bought my bike I was told there is not extended warranty I could buy. Did they mean at the time of initial purchase or period? I would have purchased an extended warranty if I knew about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
I filed a complain to ducati and ducatiusa today. I will write to Ducati Motor Holdings if they do not reply or take any action. I am sure the shareholders will concern this matter.

I will keep you updated about what exactly extended warranty is going on by ducati and the final verdict of proitalia's fraud.

I want my money back on the warranty! and I want my engine case undamaged.

bigmonster: But it is true that people in DBH is way nicer!! and they actually told me your story today about your wheel. (they didn't mention your name but the case only, don't worry)

·
Premium Member
1,200 Posts
I do not think Ducati has an extended warranty program, Most dealers do sell services by warranty companies. They do not have to be bought at time of new bike purchase, but must be obtained before factory warranty expires. They usualy have a $50 deductible each time the service is used.
I had bought a 100,000 mile one on a car and at 96,000 miles the thing needed over $2000 in repairs. The plan was $2000 but was financed into car and raised payments about $20 a month. I would rather pay monthly instead of all at once.
To add 3 years on a 750-1000cc new bike is about $630.

·
Registered
221 Posts
all of the above about extended warranties is true. The ONLY reason they are sold is becuase they are profitable for the COMPANY and rarely profitable for the consumer. As with any insurance.

Take care of her and she will take care of you. Save your money.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I bought an extended warranty when i bought my harley in 00 it was the western service corp, they covered more than the harley one. but never used it ;Dso it was wasted money :'( I personally won't buy another extended warranty. Keep the money you would have spent on it and by some mods 8)

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I bought extended warranties on both my Dodges, and used both of them, money well spent. I guess that doesn't speak well for the Dodge!! :-/
Never did an extended warranty on a bike, don't think I would have used it anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts