Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

My friend and I just purchased a Monster 750S & 749 from Ducati of Marin. They were great and prices were very competitive.

During the closing of the deal, the finance manager asked us if we wanted to add a 4 year extended warranty onto the exisiting Ducati 2 year warranty.

The cost of this extra 4 years was $600 per bike.
The extended warranty was offered by Western Service Contract Corporation. It was their Concept Plan w/ 0 Deduc.

Is anyone familiar with this type of extended insurance and is it worth it to get such a policy?

Your comments/insights would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
I did not get an extended warranty, but Murphy's Law always shows up... When you really need parts replaced under warranty, it seems to always occur right after the warranty expires.

I'd get it if it's only $600.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
That's not too bad.. if you think it'll need more than $150 of repairs per year for the duration of the extended warranty..

Heck standard shop rates are what $85 an hour for the labor?

Consider that with the fact that most 'flawed' parts will probably show up early in the life of the machine... so who knows..

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I got the extended warranty when I got my bike, but I'm going to get refunded soon. It's pretty much useless, as almost anything that is likely to break is NOT covered under the warranty. Ask the guys at Ducati of Marin exactly what is and isn't covered and I think you'll be surprised what a waste of time it is...

J

·
0 Posts
Extended Motorcycle Warranty w/Western Service Corp.???

I am considering the extended service contract since I have used them on 4 wheeled vehicles before and know NOTHING much mechanically about my groovy new 620. I can't find any info on this site that actually mentioned anything pro or con about Western Warranty, the company my dealer's flogging. Anybody got any info/opinions on them??? Help.

-Damsel in flux

M

·
0 Posts
I went ahead and bought that 4yr extended warranty with my 620 when I bought it in Ohio. There the coverage was $500 and it can be transferred to a new owner when I sell it, or I can transfer it to another bike.

The warranty price and term is very negotiable. The dealer offered the same coverage for 5 years for the same price, but I negotiated some luggage and riding gear at a great discount instead.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Gonna side w/ScottS and Bloodshot on this one. If the bike is going to have valve/piston/trans troubles, it'll likely be before the OE warranty runs out if you put any reasonable mileage on the bike. The list of what ISN'T covered is likely longer than the list of what IS.

Save the $600 for pipes, or use it to offset the 2 valve inspections you're going to need before the warranty runs out. If spending money on repairs is a concern, you might be riding the wrong...oh, um....ahem. Sorry.

Actually, having owned 2 ducks now (15k miles total, roughly), I've spent waaaaay more on dress-up/go-fast parts (and tires) than I ever have in repairs. The S4 is coming up on it's first, and I don't think I'm gonna do it myself this time....so I may be about to retract this statement. :eek:

--MB

C

·
0 Posts
FWIW. I bought a used 2003 620ie and got the 4 year plan w/ $50 deductible for 800. Apparently I over payed for the plan (but I also got a good deal on the bike - it's probably a wash).

I've had the clutch replaced and will soon have the dash replaced (this rain is killing me - I can't read my guages b/c of the condensation.

Don't know 'bout you but I plan to ride it like I stole it and let the warranty replace whatever falls off... >:D

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Who resurrected this old thread? ???

I was talked into getting the extended warranty when I bought my first Monster in 1997. I wouldn't pay that extra money again on a Ducati. I just wish I had gotten an extended warranty on my 1996 Grand Voyager.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts