Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let me start off by saying I'm not generally this cheap. Times are tough and I would like to stick around for another day of riding.

I'm in my garage drinking a beer and hiding my blinkers, bringing them about a quarter inch further to center line. I get this great idea to brighten my headlight while I save up the cash to get my HID kit.
I think to myself, if I could only get the low beam and the high beam to work all the time without pulling that trigger back, I might be more visible! So I pop open the switch, and solder in a jumper, now the brights will work with the dims, and the High beam will be a standalone. Like an old car audio installer once told me, "everything works except"..... you wont believe it... but now, when the headlight switch is in the high beam position I can turn the key off and pull it out and walk off with the bike still running. Move the switch to low beam, wala! the bike shuts off. What in the Shrek would cause this?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Don't forget the inevitable melting of lens, wiring, etc.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Gee, and you coudda just put in a PIAA 100/125 bulb and be done with it.

So, aside from the running without key issue, you now have no dedicated low beam, just a dedicated high beam. So you now blind everyone at night. But you are noticable.

Good job

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gee, and you coudda just put in a PIAA 100/125 bulb and be done with it.

So, aside from the running without key issue, you now have no dedicated low beam, just a dedicated high beam. So you now blind everyone at night. But you are noticable.

Good job
Hahaha, very nice.

·
Registered
73 Posts
the ignition wire is getting backfeed from the highbeam, you need to wire a relay or put in a large diode. its not worth the trouble dude, just ride with the highbeam on good enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just put in the PIAA's. Its not too much difference. The bulb pulls more than rated, and IMO its not worth it. As far as worrying about melting glass, the internal temp never really gets that hot, especially when its the first thing to hit the wind on the bike. The wire is more than a capable gage to handle the current.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts