Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I understand that the kit improves ignition, I'd like to better understand how this is felt in riding beyond the neat technical details.

What is the weakness, in terms of drivability, of the stock coils? What areas does the kit address: startup, throttle response, HP?

Looking to do something about throttle response when exiting corners, which feels tired and takes time to build up. I have FCR's waiting to be installed which may be sufficient but I'm curious.

G

·
well the biggest thing is that the bike starts easier... doubt you'll see any power gains but you definitely won't have low rpm stumble anymore. i could smoothly tool around the parking lot at idle after installing the coils where before it would occasionally miss and sorta lurch a bit. they're cheaper than the stock coils from ducati. no real weakness i'm aware of. makes it a better ride imo. i'd recommend this especially for the fcr's since they just dump fuel and air down the intakes and can bog things down a bit.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
A more powerfull coil will let you run a bigger spark plug gap which will make for a more complete burn. Increased mileage & less pollution are another side benefit.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
I recently added the DynaCoils kit to my carbed M900. Although the calibrated A-s-s Dyno doesn't register a pronounced increase in power, the engine just seems crisper feeling and sounding, especially riding up to Daytona and back on Friday

I installed the kit partly in hopes of helping the mysterious starting on one cylinder (never the same one) whether its hot or cold, and partly as preparation for FCRs sometime in the next year maybe. The DynaCoils didn't fix the starting problem, but may be helping a little bit until I throw a set of FCRs at the problem.

Even though the spark plugs are looking good during both street and track riding, I think the starting issue is carb driven - maybe worn emulsion tubes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
For all you that ride carburated models look at Nology coils and wires. http://www.nology.com/ I think they might be a little more costly than dyna coils.

·
Premium Member
1,928 Posts
My monster used to be a hard starter. With the Dynas it explodes to life on the first crank, even with FCRs and Nichols flywheel.

--Fillmore

·
Premium Member
752 Posts
My monster used to be a hard starter. With the Dynas it explodes to life on the first crank, even with FCRs and Nichols flywheel.

--Fillmore
ditto! except for the FCRs

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I just have to line up as another VERY satisfied Dyna coil-kit owner!!! Really makes wonders for a grumpy Monster :) Starts instantly and more response and it feels stronger on low rpm.........no problem to ride in first gear on idle without the engine hesitating and coughing like it did before. Took me 40 minutes to install two new Dyna coils. Worth every single dime...... 8)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
Any advantage to putting these on a fuel injected bike?

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hey Chris, this may sound stupid but how can I tell if I have the stock coils or Nology or Dyna. My 94 M900 has so much work done to it I would not be surprised if the previous owner had already changed the coils.
Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts