Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have this problem?

two weeks ago, i took my Monster in to the dealership to get a routine check up, and they told me about my expanded gas tank. its a manufacturer's defect, something about the plastic material in the tank reacts with the fuel and expands the plastic. with the Monster's tank set up, it can get stuck. So the dealership ordered a new tank for me, and will be replacing it at no charge!

i've had the bike for 3-4 years, bought it new. so in another 3-4 years, i'll probably have the same problem and have to replace the tank again (~$2000).

has anyone encountered this problem? how did you deal with it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same thing happened to me. They replaced it no charge. I think it is ethanol reacting to it.

I guess after we are outof warranty we are in serious trouble? Shouldve just stayed with metal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
link didn't work

Same thing happened to me. They replaced it no charge. I think it is ethanol reacting to it.

I guess after we are outof warranty we are in serious trouble? Shouldve just stayed with metal.
yeah, they are going to replace it for free. but i don't want to actually pay for it when i have to replace it again in 3-5 years when the same issue occurs

·
Registered
47 Posts
http: // ducati monster forum.org /index.php ?topic= 25074.0

is what you're looking for, just without the spaces

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts
CA Cycleworks sells an aftermarket tank for the Monsters that will hold up better, and it has almost an extra gallon of capacity as well. You'd have to pay for it yourself, but only once. (They also have one for the HyperMotards that adds about 3 gallons of capacity; I'd *definitely* get one of those if I got an HM.)

PhilB

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
CA Cycleworks sells an aftermarket tank for the Monsters that will hold up better, and it has almost an extra gallon of capacity as well.
That's awesome! How did they manage to make a bigger tank that would fit? Any idea on the cost?

·
Super Moderator
3,924 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Does anyone know if new monster models 696/796/1100 are also affected by this problem?
Yes, all of Ducati's plastic tanks are affected. It's just a matter of time. Although, it seems to only affect North American bikes, as it may have something to do with the ethanol that is added to gasonline here.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hmmm, kind of hard to blame Ducati for the tank issue when its only happening in North America and no where else in the world? Sounds like a metal tank would be a good fix. I also wonder if simply sealing the plastic tanks with a tank liner might help solve the problem?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
i have an '07 s4rt..i also noticed the expanded tank, but when i stopped using fuel containing ethanol, the tank slooowly shrinked back ...but it took a few months ...so im using 0% ethanol fuel eversince....

·
Registered
130 Posts
i have an '07 s4rt..i also noticed the expanded tank, but when i stopped using fuel containing ethanol, the tank slooowly shrinked back ...but it took a few months ...so im using 0% ethanol fuel eversince....
How do you know what's in the fuel? Are there labels at the pump I'm missing? Any recommendations on brands / grades of fuel with zero ethanol?

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
How do you know what's in the fuel? Are there labels at the pump I'm missing? Any recommendations on brands / grades of fuel with zero ethanol?
gasoline stations here in our country (Philippines) are labeled if ethanol ( by percentage) is added to the fuel...i currently use the highest octane (96) 0% ethanol....

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's posted on the pump and it's just another of those stickers we all ignore. Take a look at the pump next time and you'll see a sticker stating something like "Contains 10% ethanol." There is only 1 station near me that offers ethanol-free gas. Someone on one of the forums posted the link below, so try it and see if you can find ethanol-free gas near your area.

http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a real bummer. I'm getting a new tank in a week, but what's keeping this next tank from expanding? Is Ducati doing anything with the replacements they are sending out?

·
Registered
7 Posts
They sell a sealer for steel tanks. You take the tank off, dump in the product and rtoll it around to coat the surfaces. supposed to be some kind of epoxy. Maybe it could work for a plastic tank?

If anyone has a speread/ruined tank lying around maybe it would be worth a try?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts