Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's the end of riding season, but I feel I really need a new helmet (might have to wait until xmas). Just wondering if there is a huge difference between the Scorpion Exo400 and the Exo700. Either is going to be a step up for me since I got my brother's old helmet that he had for years.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Shoei RF1000 is calling my name, but I'm just not sure I can part with that much money.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I've got the exo-400 and i'm pretty pleased, I tricked it out with a mohawk now and use it as a passenger helmet, but vented pretty well and was inexpensive. If you don't wanna part with too much money, the 400 is a amazing buy.

·
Registered
541 Posts
the 400 is for more round headded people, the 700 is more for oval shaped heads, I forget what the exact differences are but I think the 700 is rated for higher speed crashes. Don't quote me on anything it's been a while since I bought my 700...I LOVE it though. check the site.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
the only difference that i am aware of is the material used. 700 is fiberglass-kevlar vs. the 400 is polycarbonate. that is why there is such a price difference between the two. the rest of the features are the same between the models. main difference is going to be the weight i believe. Dave.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the opinions so far. I'll have to search out the weight differences, but anything will be lighter than my too big KBC.

Is there a big protection difference between polycarbonate and fiberglass/kevlar?

Feel free to chime in if you have any other info or opinions.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
881 Posts
Check here for some good prices
http://www.helmetharbor.com/
I have been in the store plenty and really nice guys.

I bought my HJC Carbon from
www.motorcyclecloseouts.com

They sell with only exchange type returns, but if you do your research that is fine. Very nice guys bought my helmet and jacket from them.

Go try on the helmet before you buy. It is all about your head shape and what fits and can be comfortably worn.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
i got my exo 700 as a display for only $95. and he threw in the chrome windshield things on the side and chrome vent sliders for the top of my lid. great deal eh?

·
Registered
33 Posts
I bought one on the weekend at a local Motorcycle dealer.
I found that the 400 is definitely made for a rounder head such as mine, because the 700 put pressure on my fore head as did the Icon Crackhead I tried on.

He told me the only difference is the 700 is slightly lighter and has more venting.
He told me that he has only had positive feedback about them and that they fly out the door. He also mentioned that he has all the bits and pieces always in stock, because they always sell. Which is good to know when I want to swap out the visor.

This is just what he told me. But I love the helmet.

·
Premium Member
507 Posts
from www.helmetharbor.com:

What is the difference between the EXO-700 and EXO-400? We asked this ourselves the same question after comparing the two side buy side. Well, it all comes down to the venting, and the shell material The EXO-700 has a slightly more aggressive vent system. In our evaluation we found that the actual difference was slight, but if you live in a warmer State, you will feel the difference. Does this mean the EVO-400 doesn't vent? Not at all. We found that the EXO-400 vents better than all of the HJC models, and is right up there with many helmets costing over $300. The Exo-400 also has a thermoplastic shell. Before you look down on this, remember, most of the HJC line is also manufactured out of this material. The only downside to plastic is that at times, they can be heavier than a fiberglass version. In the case of the Scorpion models, we couldn't tell a weight difference. When it comes to safety, thermoplastic does its job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts