Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In purchasing a 98 Monster 900 last fall, I inherited a problem. I'm no mechanic so my terms may not be too clear, but it seems to be rather "congested," especially when you reach higher rpms. It backfires too much also. The origianl owner replaced the exhaust with D & D pipes and added a K & N kit . He said the dealer told him they had trouble getting it to run right after installing the pipes and re-jetting. He said it fouled plugs a lot after that. Here is my real question; a respected local Japanese and Aprilia mechanic who looked at the bike for the previous owner told me that he called several Ducati shops when he was trying to fix it and they told him when you change pipes you need to change carbs also to make it run right. This just doesn't sound right to me - anyone ever heard of that? I'm thinking of trying to find a set of factory pipes to put back on it - it's too loud to suit me anyway. Since it's not my main ride I'm looking for the cheapest fix. Any ideas or opinions?

Shep

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
It's just a jetting problem, shouldn't cost much, it can just be a little frustrating. Start doing plug chops & go from there.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
Those D&D pipes are definitely loud, but they don't necessarily sound good. My ST2 came with a set and I quickly tracked down a set of stock pipes to replace them with.

Your jetting is the problem. I have a spare set of carburetors off of a 97 if you really think yours are totally screwed up. Of course, by the time you get to the point where you could replace the carburetors, rejetting is almost trivial.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I really don't think the carbs need replacing, that's just what the Aprilia mechanic said he heard. I think if I can locate a set of stock pipes I'll start with that and then try to get the jetting right for them. If any of you know where I can find a good set for my 98 M900 let me know. Thanks.

Shep

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ebay, there are stock pipes all over Ebay right now. Just go to Ebaymotors and search under motorcycle, then parts, then Ducati monster you will find a bunch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts