Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new-to-me spotless M696 with only 630 miles when I bought it last month (1425 now) left me stranded in the desert last weekend. It acted like it ran out of gas (but didn't). Tow it back, blah blah.

It had 3 days left on the warranty (phew!) and I just got word that the exhaust valve in the horizontal cylinder seized, damaging other stuff too. (He has to also replace the cylinder head and cylinder assembly.)

What's up with that?
Common?
Thoughts?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Hmmmm...overrevving? Or not allowing the warm up time? Can't really say.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm, I think I've been pretty good (at least while *I've* owned it) on both these points. I know I'm supposed to stay below 7,000 rpm from 1000-2000km. (I received it at about 1000km)
Maybe this is just random, but was curious about people's thoughts. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Maybe it slapped the piston and bent? I can't think of anything else that would cause a valve to "freeze".

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe it slapped the piston and bent? I can't think of anything else that would cause a valve to "freeze".
That is why I thought maybe over-revving. I know it happens tons(bent valves) in the motocross world with the advent of the 4 stroke bikes!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Isn't the rev limiter there to keep you from overreving to the point you damage the engine, anyway?
FWIW, I was just happily cruising along on a little touring trip when it just stopped going...acted as if it ran out of gas.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Isn't the rev limiter there to keep you from overreving to the point you damage the engine, anyway?
FWIW, I was just happily cruising along on a little touring trip when it just stopped going...acted as if it ran out of gas.
This, plus that is one of the advantages of the Ducati desmodromic system -- it's pretty much impossible to float a valve.

I've never heard of the failure in a Ducati that you describe, in 17 years of owning a Ducati and associating with other Ducati owners. I'd guess a manufacturing defect -- bad part or bad assembly on your particular bike -- this can happen to any manufacturer.

PhilB

·
Registered
221 Posts
suppose to keep it below 6k for the first 600 miles.

since the bike is 2 years... and such low mileage. bet they never serviced it

it would be due for belts at that age.
check your manual for things that should have been checked before going over 6k
I think valves were one of them.
if it came from the factory with a problem it would have been found at that time.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
There was someone else who posted a valve issue a couple of months ago on a new bike, I seem to remember that it happened while the bike was in for a 600 mile service and when they had it out for a test drive they bent one.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Take a look at the valve, piston, and head and make your own judgement, it still sounds like a slapped valve to me.
You can't overrev up, but you can overrev on a downshift. The belt can also jump a tooth witch will cause a valve slap.
If they say the head is junk, keep it, it's not, it'll just need some basic repairs.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Could be a bad bike. Good that the warranty is going to cover it, yikes that would be expensive!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks!
I think I'm going to drop by the dealer next week with my questions. He seems very nice, and also surprised by this. As usual - I might as well turn this into a learning experience. I wonder if I might have a look-see at everything while it's in pieces.

Another theory posed to me: oil port clogged - by debris from break in?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
296 Posts
Passed by the Duc dealer today, and popped in. The bike is almost back together. I asked why on earth this happened, and he said it was a manufacturing defect that he's heard of once or twice before, and it always happens in the horizontal cylinder.

Dorky blog post of Ducati breakdown:
http://operaflute.blogspot.com/2010/08/not-in-california-staycation-expedition.html
Good to hear, phew that would have been expensive. So Ducati is going to cover this one I take it?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yup! It's totally on Ducati's dime. Which is a good thing, because I don't have a dime left after buying it. I had three days left on the warranty! (which transferred to me from the original owner.) They are also sending me a check to cover the towing!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Long idle can over heat a air cooled bikes exhaust valve and the vert calender is very prone to this happing. Not saying thats what did it but its a good possibility. I never let my bike idle for more than a couple mins after its warmed up. Just food for thought.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts