Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get a few pops when downshifting. Mostly the sound is beautiful with my new Scorpions but if it hits say 5k rpms, I get a few pops. Is that a tuning problem with the new pipes or normal? Airbox and ECU stock.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I agree with Kev... lean mixture. I had that same problem on my carbed 900 after I put on a full FBF system and airbox mod. Mine wouldn't even run decent over 2000 RPM after the mods, it was popping + cracking all over the place.

G

·
take the bike to your dealer and ask the mechanic to play with the stock ECU's CO levels and TPS settings to enrichen the mix a bit. all DUC's come to the US with a leaner than ideal map to meet emissions standards. installing a freeflowing exhaust leans out a bit more. nothing "dangerous" but tweeking the stock ECU can easily account for this and shouldn't cost you more than 1 hour of labor.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just called both local dealers one said 3 hours and one said an hour and a half. The second is my preferred shop anyway so I'll try them.

Thanks guys!
Joe

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: Sun was out and work was slow so...off to the shop. The Ducati tech was taking a bike out for a test ride and I caught him at the perfect time. When he got back, he took my bike right in and hooked it up. He worked on it for an hour and said the back cyclinder was off and the front was about right. CHarged .9 hrs, total $63.00.

It may be a better but it still pops at least couple of times coming down from about 5,000. From about 4,000 and down, it purrs. I probably should not be letting it rev that high on a downshift anyway.

G

·
I had popping from my pipes and the problem was the mixture too lean so I went to my boys and to change the ecu's emmissions takes 4 minutes and a $10 dollar tip so I am not really sure what those mechanics were talking to you about except STEALING from you. They simply lift the seat and hook up to prongs to the computer system and off you go VROOM VROOM VROOM

Good luck \\

Levi
Monster 800 03
remus slip ons
k/n air

·
Registered
796 Posts
Mine does it too at about the same rpm range. I check my plugs very regularly and they are a touch lean but not bad. I like to run a little lean for better performance, anyway, just pull your plugs and take a look. They should be white/tan on the ceramic part. If they are very white and kinda ashy looking they are too lean. Mine are pretty white with just a hint of tan and no powder or ashy look at all.
My other V twin did the same popping on decel, I have learned to live with it.
Just my $.02 and I know there are guys on here that will not rest untill they are positive that the bike is runnin 100% perfect but mine works for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts