Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all, I live close to the ocean and my pipes are Two Brothers but the ocean air has done a number on them. They are heavily oxidized. Does anyone have any advise on restoring them back to the aluminum finish and keeping them that way.

I have tried neverdull/mothers and I can get close to restoring them but no cigar. And then it seems to make it easier for the ozidization to get worse.

Any help would make me very happy.

Thanx,
jlu

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
OneUptown said:
Good day to all, I live close to the ocean and my pipes are Two Brothers but the ocean air has done a number on them. They are heavily oxidized. Does anyone have any advise on restoring them back to the aluminum finish and keeping them that way.

I have tried neverdull/mothers and I can get close to restoring them but no cigar. And then it seems to make it easier for the ozidization to get worse.

Any help would make me very happy.

Thanx,
jlu
I don't know about these things, but maybe this would help?
http://www.performancecoatings.com/headercoatings.html

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Take them off and get them polished. You will however have to make this an annual event.

·
Registered
969 Posts
OneUptown said:
Does anyone have any advise on restoring them back to the aluminum finish and keeping them that way.
OK, I'm confused.....When you say "aluminum finish" on your "pipes" First, I assume that you are talking about your exhaust system and since you say aluminum it must be the mufflers (cans)? If the pipes coming from the heads have an "aluminum" look then they are either ceramic coated or aluminized...they would not be aluminum.

That said I suspect you are talking about the mufflers. Aluminum does not oxidize like steel or stainless steel. Stainless gets a brownish tint from heat and "oxidation" on steel is called "rust." Chrome plated steel will "blue" due to heat. Oxidation on aluminum is usually a rather crusty whitish "rust." Unless you store your bike outside, I doubt that your aluminum is exhibiting that type of oxidation.

If it is aluminum you are talking about, it most likely would have been anodized or clear coated from the factory to keep it looking polished. I am guessing that perhaps these coatings have worn through and the raw aluminum is getting dull. If that is the case you will have to remove the remainder of the protective coating and refinish, then recoat or anodize the parts.

Posting a pix would help clarify just what you are dealing with.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Old-Duckman said:
<snip>
If it is aluminum you are talking about, it most likely would have been anodized or clear coated from the factory to keep it looking polished. I am guessing that perhaps these coatings have worn through and the raw aluminum is getting dull. If that is the case you will have to remove the remainder of the protective coating and refinish, then recoat or anodize the parts.

Posting a pix would help clarify just what you are dealing with.
I have DP aluminum cans on my 96. They came in raw aluminum and need to be polished every year. I use a buffer with a wool pad and DuPont 606S compound.
It's a PITA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts