Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember someone telling me about the procedure for modifiying your own cans, but I cannot find it. Mine will almost certainly go to strati, but I am one of those people who likes to know how to do things my self

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a 620, but I strongly recommend his work.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
That is not the same procedure for Monster exhausts. You remove the two bolts holding the exhaust hanger and slide the sleeve down. You could pound all day on the end and never get it off as shown on that web site.

Strati was kind enough to let me see his documented procedures for modifying Monster pipes, and I eventually tried it myself. It's worth paying Strati to do the work unless you really like to spend hours with saws and hammers and files and vices.

I modified my own, because I was curious about it, but Strati will do a better job than what I did and certainly has more experience, having done several hundred.

Personally, I recommend the half-mod, where it makes the engine sound like a Ducati should, but isn't so loud. Of course, maybe that's just because I'm old. ;)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey jinx: check out the ducatipipemod site (linked in strati's sig) for an answer (and much more) to your question.

I actually have one of my own... maybe for strati, definitely for the board in general:

Has anybody considered adding Monster pipe mod instructions to the FAQ here? I know it would be a great article and a potentially useful resource to the adventurous.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually have one of my own... maybe for strati, definitely for the board in general:

Has anybody considered adding Monster pipe mod instructions to the FAQ here? I know it would be a great article and a potentially useful resource to the adventurous.
i suppose i could put something together. i used to have pics/words on my site that i'd share if asked. it was a password-protected page. not because i didn't want to share the info, but because i wanted to know who was viewing it.
i don't mind sharing how-to, but "ducatipipemod.com" is a business and like any other business, it's supposed to make $$ (so i can buy ducati goodies without my wife kicking my arse).
well anyways, i eventually took the how-to pages down because i was nearing my disk-allowance limit so the pics had to go.
i'd be willing to share those pics/words/etc... with michael to post in the FAQ section if he wouldn't mind appending a link to my site for the source. that way, folks who've got the tools/etc... would be able to do the work, but those who look over the instructions and think "no way!" would know there's a fairly $cheap$ option.

·
Registered
374 Posts
That and Strati has done this many many times and can most likely make your pipes look better than you. You won't have to worry about using time or sealing them again or painting them the right way or polish, you name it. If I would have had the money I would have sent mine to him for sure.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember when Strati had the instructions on his site and think it's very generous of him to continue to email directions to people. If I recall correctly, the process is complex enough that most will look at them and decide his prices are not only reasonable, but generous!

Personally, I'm an openly worthless mechanic. It's not due to any mental or physical deficiency that I know of. Rather, I just haven't had any experience and I prefer not to experiment on something I love. Used stock cans aren't too hard to come by, though, and generally for very cheap, so this is one project I'm willing to screw up as a learning experience...

Strati - thanks for your willingness to consider doing a FAQ... I hope Michael will be interested...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts