Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got finished with doing my own exhaust mod. Very easy. i didn't want to cut any outside structure and I didn't want to rivet the cap back on. You can do it all with a dremel and a screwdriver ( a screwdriver you can hit with a hammer and it won't bend)
Stick the dremel with a cutting wheel attached , stick it in the small tube coming out of the pipe. It will just fit in. Stick it in far enough to cut behind the cap. Once that part of the tube is cut. Chisel the surrounding cap out with your screwdriver and hammer. It takes a lot of precise hits, but eventually it will pull out. Once that is out pull all of the stell wool type packing out of the exhaust. stick the dremel back inside the exhaust tube. You will only see one tube, at least that is how mine is. Cut another 3-4" off the tube. Repeat untill you can,t get the dremel to cut any further. You will go through 10-15 cutting wheels. I reinstalled my pipes, not knowing if it would have any effect or make that big of a difference. It does, It sounds deep, and very sweet. I couldn't believe how much of a difference it made just cutting off that much tube. It left the exhaust looking completly stock. With the exception of the larger hole in the end cap. I got the idea from Lances' post on DucatiSuite. I'm glad I did it. Dont be afraid. - W

·
Registered
505 Posts
ducati_tim said:
What is the short way if doing it? ???
A sawzall or bandsaw, and a dotco ;D

That would suck to have to shorten the pipes with nothing but a dremel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is actully easier than you think. Unless you want shorter pipes. I highly recommend it. Stick the drimel in the hole, let it do the work . Pop off the cap. Remove the packing material,tube, and your done. Everything still intact. If you want to keep the integrity of the pipe welded like it was built, and want to keep it looking clean and stock, this is one of the many good ways to do it. [cheeky]

·
Registered
520 Posts
+1 on Malibu
I did the same thing only I used a drill and a jigsaw to cut the plugs out, the dremel thing was easy.

Even got a thumbs up from one of the guys at ducati nashville for the sound I got from it.

·
Registered
505 Posts
MalibuMonster said:
It is actully easier than you think. Unless you want shorter pipes. [cheeky]
I had to have shorter pipes, as you can see \/ ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey, cvofatboy- no pics of the first one. But, I have another spare stock exhaust I'm going to do it on,as well, here in a few days. I'll try to show you some pics of the process. I can't advise if it will work for Termy's or any other model exhaust. This was stock off of a 2000 750 monster.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts