Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 2003 Monster 620. This is my first Ducati, so I am a newbie.

I would like change the mufflers to low aftermarket slip-ons.

I have talked to the service reps at several Ducati dealers and they talk about either remapping the standard chip after the new mufflers are installed or changing to a new chip that is supplied by the muffler manufacturer.

When I ask them for more detailed information all I get is techno-babble.

What I need is some basic information about which manufacturers provide a chip with their mufflers and for those vendors who do not provide a chip is remapping required?

If remapping is required what type of equipment and skills do the dealer's techs need to do this job properly.

thanks in advance

Viper38

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
yo...
most simply put, you should have no problems running your bike with aftermarket cans and NO other changes.

here's why...
your stock airbox lid is restrictive enough for intake that it'll prevent the bike from running TOO lean with free-flowing cans installed.

here's more...
NO aftermarket exhaust company offers a replacement chip with their cans for the m620 or any '02+ ducati aside from "ducati performance". this is because the computer in all '02+ bikes doesn't have a replaceable chip in it like previous generations.

more info...
keep in mind that all ducati's are shipped to the US with a mixture that's leaner than ideal to meet EPA emissions standards. this being the case, it's again NOT TOTALLY NECESSARY, but a good idea to tune the fuel injection even if you keep the stock cans! note that a common mod done in conjunction with free-flowing exhaust is to cut open the airbox lid for better intake. if you do this, then you'll DEFINATELY want to tune your fuel injection to prevent a dangerously lean running condition.

what are your options?
1) you cannot remap the stock chip. the mapping is hardcoded in the computer. it's just not an option. however, you CAN tune it for a slightly richer mixture by hooking up the ducati diagnostic (mathesis) computer and altering the allowable CO levels and by changing the TPS (throttle position sensor). this is not the _best_ way to do it but probably the cheapest as long as your dealer's not ripping you off. probably $100 or so (couple hours of labor to fiddle/trial/error).

2) you can get a "TFI" unit (www.techlusion.com) they don't have the m620 listed but it shares the throttlebodies and TPS with the 750's so you should be all set there. the TFI will allow you to dial in a more ideal mixture based on idle, partial throttle and full throttle. you could do this yourself by "feel" or you can bring the bike to a shop that has a dyno to have it done properly.

3) you can get a powercommander (www.powercommander.com) which works similarly to the TFI unit mentioned above, but allows finer tuning with more adjustability. it's also more expensive (you get what you pay for).

4) last but not least is the Ultimap 5.9 (www.fuelinmoto.com.au/ look under "news"). this replaces the stock ECU and is probably the best option on the market but it's also the most expensive.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Strati, you get milk & cookies tonight.
That was awesome. Clear, concise and organized.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice post Strati......

I agree do not do anything else if you add cans....but if you are doing more like opening up the air box, I would recommend the FIM route, plus it gets rid of the immobiliser.
Not that anyone is going to lose both keys, but if you did it would cost more than the FIM set up. A lot more......

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
The Techlusion Fuel Injection Box is working very will on my 02' 750 with free flowing air intake & Strati modified cans. It is safe way to avoid running lean & I even got a little more horse power out of the mod. The mod costs around $200 installed & dyno'd.

Good luck to you.

Oh yeah, Strati, great post man, thanx for breaking it down for eveyone so concisely w/ no BS.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow !!!!!

s4strati thanks for the great tutorial.

This board is a terrific place to get unbiased information of the highest caliber.

Thanks again.

Viper38

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This board is a terrific place to get unbiased information of the highest caliber.
I have to excuse myself, I am totally biased and just steal all the info from people that know what they are talking about.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
s4strati

Now that I have had time to think about the options that you so clearly laid out, and to look at the web sites noted in your response, I now have a much better idea how to approach the selection of aftermarket cans and judge the capabilities of the dealers who will do the work on my bike.

From your remarks, I get the impression that ducati performance does provide a new chip to go with their replacement mufflers. Is this the case? If so, is this a worthwile alternative?

Thanks again for your insight.

Viper38

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the DP exhaust kits come with specifically mapped ECU's to replace the stock units. this is one of the reasons they're so goddamn expensive! but with how well the bike can run with the stock ECU "tuned" for so much less money, i think getting a set of sil motor or arrow cans is such a better value. keep in mind however that you've gotta have faith in your ducati mechanic to tune the ECU with the CO levels and TPS settings. if they're not _good_, you'll be running much less than ideally.

that also said (and this is where things get even more interesting), there are membes on this board who've purchased the DP stuff with the accompanying ECU and found FURTHER improvements by fine-tuning that ECU with the use of a PCIII (powercommander)! the reason that this is possible is that even if the DP ECU is mapped for a specific model (like the S4, or M620, etc...), slight individual settings like how your camshafts are degreed (slight variations aren't unusual from the factory), what your typical riding weather's like, altitude, etc... can all effect how the bike runs and this invludes how it should be mapped. this is why i honestly think the best setup is always one that's developped with the use of a dyno in the general environment the bike will be ridden in the most. but!!!!!!!! $$$$ plays a big factor in all decision making, no?

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
s4strati:

Great post !

Now I have a more complete picture of all the options.

Thanks again.

Viper38

·
Registered
14 Posts
why buy cans..... you can cut yours and get great sound with better flow.... i cut mine and also polished them. what a difference....... save your money. for something else

·
Registered
196 Posts
Strati will not only give you clear and unbiased info, he will also modify your pipes in a number of ways, for a small price and some milk 'n cookies.

Just another satisfied customer,
BUZ.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Thanks, Strati. You cleared up what I was wondering while waiting for my Arrow slip-ons to be delivered.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts