Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a exhaust leak where the pipes meet the header. I understand there is a gasket/seal in there, but can I fix this with some type of silicone or sealer instead of replacing these gaskets. Has anyone experienced this? '00 M750

Carlos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
454 Posts
I hit a bump in Leucadia, bottomed out the pipes. Same exact thing happend to me. Im considering the same solution because i BOUGHT the gasket and installed it myself. Not difficult, but its still leaking. Cant figure out why.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VermontDuc said:
Why don't you want to buy the gasket?
Don't want to wait for the part. I'm a little impatient and do understand your point. Just checking if somebody has done this fix before.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Have you recently removed the pipes from the headers. I ask because it is possible to put those half shell, metal gaskets in backwards. If backwards they will leak and the exhaust nuts will likely fall off because you can't tighten the clamp down enough when they are bass ackwards. I know because if you can do stupid nuts when working on your bike, I've done it.

If you have removed them lately, try undoing the clamps and flipping the gaskets over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
J_C said:
Have you recently removed the pipes from the headers. I ask because it is possible to put those half shell, metal gaskets in backwards. If backwards they will leak and the exhaust nuts will likely fall off because you can't tighten the clamp down enough when they are bass ackwards. I know because if you can do stupid nuts when working on your bike, I've done it.

If you have removed them lately, try undoing the clamps and flipping the gaskets over.
Not me, maybe the previous owner. How do I know if they are backwards? Thanks for the reply [thumbsup]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Of the top of my head and without my bike right next to me I can't recall which way they go in. They are L shaped and it seems to me if you look at them from the side the horizontal part of the L goes in first. I'm only 75% sure of that though. I do know that if you put them in, thighten the nuts all the way and the clamp (for lack of a better word) snugs down really close, almost all the way to the head, they are probably in backwards. When the gaskets are installed correctly the clamp will have a space between it and the head. Basically the gasket kind of crushes down in there and keeps some tension on that clamp. That and the lock washers should keep things tightened up.

Another thought is even if they are in correctly, maybe they are off center. If this is the case you just loosen all exhaust clams, move the pipes around a bit to make sure they are centered in the exhaust port, snug stuff down, recheck everything for proper seating and torque everything down.

One other thought is that maybe one of the shell gaskets got burnt if it wasn't installed correctly. If neither of the above pans out you may want to remove and inspect.

Maybe I should have asked this but can you describe your leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
J_C said:
Of the top of my head and without my bike right next to me I can't recall which way they go in. They are L shaped and it seems to me if you look at them from the side the horizontal part of the L goes in first. I'm only 75% sure of that though. I do know that if you put them in, thighten the nuts all the way and the clamp (for lack of a better word) snugs down really close, almost all the way to the head, they are probably in backwards. When the gaskets are installed correctly the clamp will have a space between it and the head. Basically the gasket kind of crushes down in there and keeps some tension on that clamp. That and the lock washers should keep things tightened up.

Another thought is even if they are in correctly, maybe they are off center. If this is the case you just loosen all exhaust clams, move the pipes around a bit to make sure they are centered in the exhaust port, snug stuff down, recheck everything for proper seating and torque everything down.

One other thought is that maybe one of the shell gaskets got burnt if it wasn't installed correctly. If neither of the above pans out you may want to remove and inspect.

Maybe I should have asked this but can you describe your leak.
The leak is exactly where the pipe (stock) slips into the opening of the header.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Could be any of the three things I mentioned. Anyone think of anything I might have missed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
just to be clear, you're talking about where the muffler inserts into the header, this is after the X-section in the header...

if so, there is no gasket there stock, just go get some exhaust sealer stuff and be clean about it, no big deal...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
508 Posts
Listen to Hiero. I was misreading where you were describing your leak was. My description was for the header to to exhaust port connection. Sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,897 Posts
J_C said:
Listen to Hiero. I was misreading where you were describing your leak was. My description was for the header to to exhaust port connection. Sorry.
actually, sorry, forgot to put the question mark in my previous post. just wanted to be clear which connection we were talking about,

desmopr, if you could please clarify
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hiero said:
just to be clear, you're talking about where the muffler inserts into the header, this is after the X-section in the header...

if so, there is no gasket there stock, just go get some exhaust sealer stuff and be clean about it, no big deal...
Yes....that's right. Thanks hiero and thanks JC. [thumbsup]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Choose a high temp sealer that DOESN'T set rock hard - there are some types that are designed to harden up when heated - they work very well, until it comes time to separate the parts and you will need a hammer and chisel, and you will have to damage something to get them apart.

WTSDS
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top