Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time to upgrade the exhaust on the S2r1000. Just want slip-ons. Don't care about the HP gain, just want a better sound. Dealer says he has them and are ~$750.00, but wait I need pipes, I ask if it is the "S" pipe, no I need header pipes and we are now looking at ~$1300.00... Yikes. Plus they may not be able to tune without a different ECU, more $$ there too.
So what is the straight scoop.
From everything I've read here I did not think I needed all the extra stuff. Do not want to disconnect the O2 sensor, just want some noise.

Any suggestion? Sorry to beat a dead horse here, as I know it has been discussed.

Bike is a '07 S2r1000.

Thanks

·
Registered
704 Posts
if you are just looking for the extra noise, core the stock pipes. if you want to change the look while you are at it, paint the cans with High Temp black paint.

you can find a very good set of instructions for coring the stock cans here

another option for more noise is to get rid of the cans and S pipe and just run it with the udder. That is what i do, and it is plenty loud. really shows off the SSS and wheel, and less weight too

cheers, and good luck with whatever you do [thumbsup]

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
It never ceases to amaze me how a chunk of perforated 2" or 2 1/2" stainless tube with some packing and a pretty outer wrapping can be worth so much money. Sorry- being cynical again

·
Registered
71 Posts
As long as you don't get rid of the udder and the O2-sensor, you don't have to change the ECU. The O2-sensor takes care that you don't run too lean or too rich... As long as this does it's job, there's no need to change it. That's what I've been told.

And for the price you have to pay, I think there are far more cheaper solutions for just a couple of slip-ons and S-tubes... You should be able to find something around 700-800 Euros (Is that like $850???) that's looking and sounding nice... Just do a little research on the net.

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
TonyB said:
It never ceases to amaze me how a chunk of perforated 2" or 2 1/2" stainless tube with some packing and a pretty outer wrapping can be worth so much money. Sorry- being cynical again
The Akrapovic system is titanium and carbon fiber, and the craftsmanship exceptional. The stock S-pipes and cans weigh approx. 14.5lb and the Akra weighs approx. 5lbs.

What would an F1 team pay to remove 9.5 lbs. of high weight? 2.4% of an S2R 1K's weight, applied to an F1 car, that's approx. 21.6 lbs.

In terms of hp to weight ratio a stock S2R 1K is 4.1263, less 9.5 lbs. equals 4.0263 or 2.3598 hp gain at the crank. The reduced restriction of pipe adds approx. 3 hp at the crank, add the hp to lbs gain and you've effectively increased crank hp 5.3598. The Akra system sells for around $933, which is $174 per crank hp. It takes about 20 minutes to install start to finish. Good exhaust systems are not that expensive compared to motor work.

Sorry - being approximately mathematically logical again ;)

·
Registered
4,309 Posts
Approximately,
cuz, the difference in an F1 car and your bike is that the F1 car is has already shaved weight down to the gnats ass...

Also keep in mind, It looks like your % wt and related hp numbers are for a bike minus rider - they aren't very fast like that, so, add another 1/3 to your total weight.

Now, what other ways are there to shave 5lbs? Not get that donut in the morning?

By all means, aftermarket pipes are freaking awesome, the real world difference just isn't that huge on most bikes. (other than sound and style, which we cannot discount)

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
toolfan said:
Approximately,
cuz, the difference in an F1 car and your bike is that the F1 car is has already shaved weight down to the gnats ass...
Monsters aren't exactly fat.

toolfan said:
Also keep in mind, It looks like your % wt and related hp numbers are for a bike minus rider - they aren't very fast like that, so, add another 1/3 to your total weight.
I used 1080 lbs. for the F1, approx. car only weight.

toolfan said:
Now, what other ways are there to shave 5lbs? Not get that donut in the morning?
Nice dart toss, your body fat % is?

toolfan said:
By all means, aftermarket pipes are freaking awesome, the real world difference just isn't that huge on most bikes. (other than sound and style, which we cannot discount)
Few have the ability to maximize the stock hp, so it's all talk anyway.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the responses. Could it be the parts guy did not know what he was talking about? I just want the slip-ons. Can it be tuned if they are installed?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
sdweasel said:
Thanks for the responses. Could it be the parts guy did not know what he was talking about? I just want the slip-ons. Can it be tuned if they are installed?

Thanks

you can get just slip-ons with nothing else. with nothing else added, you won't 'need' any extra tuning, tuning is always beneficial, but just slip ons with nothing else, you won't notice.

yeah, parts guy was just a bit off

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
TonyB said:
especially termigoni , they are very poorly made and shoddy compared to other brands, i have just dismantled a set of temis to have them polished and to remove some packing, compared to Leo Vince or Silmoto they are very por value for money, all thes manufactures must be raking in the cash , profit margins for them and the dealers must be high.

jerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Cored mine, S2R(800) and love the sound. Dont know if there is any difference in power but the sound is fantastic. Cheap, and after I spent a couple days with the buffer the stock cans look great too. --Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts