Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have a 620 and my exhaust never turned blue. I thought only the shinny pipes turned blue. I dunno if it's chrome or what but I thought it was only shinny metal that turned blue when heated. Mine turned a bronze-ish, light brownish color, but I cleaned them with a metal polish and they look good. Not perfect like new but shinny and good. By the way, I am talking about the piping, not the mufflers.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
You can look at the photo for August in the 2003 Monster Calendar and the pipe is more blue near the engine than further back. Apparently the owner of that bike never cleans his exhaust pipes.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pipes turning blue is not as common today as it was in the past. Seems that carbs set up too rich (or using excessive choke) are prone to cause it.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pipe is bluing just after the header. I keep the bike very clean so that can't be the cause. Is it just due to the heat?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
both flanges on my bike are blue, and the pipes are sorta blue near the engine, bronze the rest of the way. yes, it's from heat and a normal condition.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
if you polish your headers and you allow it to change colors a little with the heat, it will turn a nice golden color - matches the monster pretty well

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there anything a I can apply to make it turn periwinkle or fuschia?

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
The blue turning on HD's is common. My pipes on my HD's are chrome and even with the heat shields they blued. My monster pipes are Titanium and I have had them for quite a few months and no blue.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Titanium ! what set of pipes do you have on your bike there AllyCat

1 - 13 of 13 Posts