Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Evoluzione vs yoyodyne

3K views 23 replies 6 participants last post by  DaffeDuc 
G
#1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has had problems over time with their evoluzione clutch slave cylinder... In my post below, I possibly need a new one. The Evol is cheaper but my dealer (speed's cycle in Baltimore) says all the evol's he installs end up leaking and he has to send them back. He is urging me to go for the more expensive yoyodyne unit.

I'd be interested to see how people have fared with the evoluzione slave cylinder.

Thanks
Stuart

G
#2 ·
Happy EVO user, no problems whatsoever and I even have the old style unit with the round barrel.

I like its look, the price was right and Ken is a stand-up guy when it comes to his products and support.

#3 ·
i've tried and sold the 3 popular US brands; yoyodyne is the brand i sell.

only problems encountered are when throwout bearing fails and the push rod starts ruining the piston. they're fix it at greatly reduced cost, even though it's not their fault. 8) but they'll only do this once. ;)

:) chris

G
#5 ·
I just spoke with a Ken at Evoluzione. He informed me of the 10 yr warranty and also said there were 6 returns last year out of thousands sold. So I wonder if my service guy was confused or being a little misleading.
Oh well. Thanks for the responses. I think I'll go with Evoluzione and save a few bucks over yoyodyne.

#9 ·
G
#10 ·
We used to sell the Yoyo slave cyclinders but the service
and price was always better with evoluzione. We sell the entire evo kit with two bleeder screws and a bleeder pump bottle for $165. The Yoyo was $200 for just a slave cylinder.
Get the evo.

#13 ·
Ah.. that 10 year warranty sounded a little too good to be true.

Chris, in the article I found it said the following about Yoyodyne:

On the Monster, Yoyodyne's standard 25% reduction ratio was just a little too much, resulting in partial clutch engagement even when the lever was fully pulled in. While traveling at speed this did not pose a problem. However, once stopped at a traffic light, we found it impossible to engage neutral. This is a clutch spring/clutch plate problem that Yoyodyne shouldn't be blamed for, but since the clutch engaged and disengaged fine with the factory slave cylinder, we had to make note of it in the test.

I was thinking about getting one, but this scared me off a bit. Do you have any comments on that? Thanks.

G
#14 ·
Well, Chris and I had the total opposite experience with the two manufacturers.

I guess you should just flip a coin...heads: I save $35...tails: I spend $35 more...the rest is a toss up.

There is also the STM slave cylinder in case you lose the coin.

G
#15 ·
well I have had my yoyodyne for two years now works great
and I always find neutral, never once had a problem with the clutch........The shop where I bought mine from also has praise for the yoyodynes.

#17 ·
On my S4 the levers have four adjustment points numbered 1 through 4. position 1 provides maximum lever motion but makes the lever a bit wide off the handle bars for my smaller hands. Position 4 has the least lever motion and is most comfortable for my hands. I noticed that with the stock slave I had no problem finding nuetral in all lever positions. However, after installed the evol unit, position 4 (least motion) made it very difficult to find nuetral. Slipping it down one position solved the problem.

I think that this is characteristic of all after market slaves that advertise reduced pull force. In order to achieve reduced pull force, the slave cylinder plunger has to be wider (more surface area) and thus does not move quite as far (bore requires more fluid to enter for same linear motion) and can result in not fully releasing the clutch under conditions where the lever has the least motion.

For me, the difference between position 4 and position 3 was not significant so I solved that problem by just using position 3.

Borg Girl

G
#18 ·
YoYo's are hard anodized and EVO's are color anodized. Difference is YoYo's will tend to wear less. Reality is, slave does not cycle hundreds of thousands of times and wear is not an issue. I have an Evo and have had no problems. I guess I could have paid for a YoYo, $35 is about the price of an oil change. No big whip. I have about 6K on the new slave. No sign of leak.

#20 ·
Chris, in the article I found it said the following about Yoyodyne:
On the Monster, Yoyodyne's standard 25% reduction ratio was just a little too much, resulting in partial clutch engagement even when the lever was fully pulled in. While traveling at speed this did not pose a problem. However, once stopped at a traffic light, we found it impossible to engage neutral. This is a clutch spring/clutch plate problem that Yoyodyne shouldn't be blamed for, but since the clutch engaged and disengaged fine with the factory slave cylinder, we had to make note of it in the test.
I was thinking about getting one, but this scared me off a bit.

G
#21 ·
Update:
Well I made sure I had enough clutch fluid in my resevior and made the short ride to my ducati dealer, speed's cycle in baltimore.
Once there, I spoke at length with the dealership owner who is also the main tech guy. He was of the opinion that Evol's are faulty and Yoyo's are reliable. He was very adamant about this and so I decided to take his advice and go with yoyodyne. He said he's had multiple problems with evol in the past, returning slaves, and evol giving them back citing improper installation or other issues. He no longer carries the evol slave in stock. He did mention that they sell many other evol parts and those are all top quality.
As this was my first encounter with speed's cycle and i've heard nothing but positive things about them in the past, I'm trusting him this time. He's going to charge about 30 bucks for installation, which i have no say in because I have nowhere and no time to work on the bike.

One thing is for certain - when i got to the shop, he immediately noticed I had no clutch pressure from the lever and said it's definitely the slave cylinder. I was oblivous to this because that was how it felt when i bought the bike a few months ago. I really hope that I didn't do any other damage to the bike.
Thanks for all the info.
Stuart

#22 ·
i haven't had any customer report similar problems. otherwise, i don't have any more to say that's not conjecture.

chris
My Yoyodne works fine, and I really like it. I've got big mitts, so I use the #1 lever position, so that's in my favor.

I'll conjecture that the magazine test was compromised by an incomplete bleed job. Just a rude guess........

G
#23 ·
Ok, the end of the story if anyone cares.
Got the yoyodyne part put on, and picked up the bike today.
Wow, talk about a different feel. I have to let the clutch lever ALL the way out minus 1 millimeter before the gear engages. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually.

One thing for certain is that I never realized getting into neutral was supposed to be this easy. :)

Stuart

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.