Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Evotech Tidy Tail write up

TITLE SAYS EVOLUTION - SHOULD BE EVOTECH...SORRY!!!

I recently purchased the Evotech Tidy Tail. I have researched all the available options out there, and found this to be the best. The reasons include the finish, design, and cost.

There were not many detailed posts on this tail, so I figured I would detail it out.

In picture 1, this shows the tail just out of the package. I never saw a tail kit that was not installed. All the ads were with the tail already mounted.

The instructions were pretty good overall. The process is simple. The old tail comes off with 4 bolts. They are seen on top of the rear once the seat is removed. You need two allen wrenches, unfortunately I did not record the size, but the top one is larger than the under tail one. Once this is completed, you will need to remove the two bolts holding the seat lock off. I guess you could leave it, but I think it would be near to impossible to re-install it once the new tail is on. Take note of how the cable is routed, as it must be placed back the same way. Of note, the Tidy Tail keeps the lock in the same position, which was a benefit for me especially over the Competition Works one. To remove the tail at this point, you need to unplug the connector on the right side of the bike. This connector is relatively small in it is tucked up to the frame.

Now you can remove the tail light and signals. Both require torque (star) bits. Again, I dont have the size, but my standard set of small bits was fine.

To remove the key cylinder, you need a pair of large pliers. It seems as if the nut is plastic, so don't grip too hard. I recommend you take a good look at the position of the cylinder where the cable is inserted in relation to the lock body. There is only one way to put the lock in place as it is keyed with a small and larger notch in it. You will need to remove the cable holder on the lock cylinder with a Phillips screwdriver. Once this is removed, the spring and washer fall out on their own. Again take note or a picture on how this assembles. It actually only goes on one way, the only variable is the cable guide and how much it needs to be turned and screwed back down into the lock body. There is a pattern on the cable guide than can go on about 4 different ways. Once you are in there, you will see what I mean. I wasted about 30 minutes getting this right!

The rest of the install is pretty straightforward. Put a dab of silicone on the plastic spacers to keep them in place when holding up the new tail piece. Then insert the supplied unit bolts. Hook the seat lock mechanism back onto the frame. Again take note beforehand how this removes and replace as before.

Picture 2 and 3 are different angles of the kit. Picture 4 and 5 are final result.

What sets this tail apart is the black anodized finish. It is near impossible to see this as it blends so well with the undertail. It also matches the swingarm and frame perfectly

Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
[thumbsup] I installed one of these a few weeks ago & IMO it's the best looking one out there and the quality is top notch.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts