·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D

·
0 Posts
Should have included

"Yes, but only because I didn't have my bike in gear, and 4 fingers on my clutch lever"

heheh

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
No, but I've been T-boned waiting to make a right turn...thrilling but sad :eek: :'(

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
Not at an intersection, but I was stopped for some debris in the road while waiting for oncoming traffic to clear. I heard the screeching tires and got launched into the yard on my right. I had the bike in gear with the clutch pulled in and when he hit me I sat straight up, sliding to the back seat and letting go of the handlebars. The engine braking slowed me down and I regained control and stopped. BTW, I was riding my '76 RD400 to the Duck dealer to trade it in. It actually totalled the car (older Buick of some kind) and did nothing to the bike. The guy in the car was an A$$ to the cop and ended up getting hauled off for something.
I reported the incident to his Insurance Co. and told them that I recieved $200 less for the bike than was previously agreed upon due to the accident (which was true) and they cut me a check. I used the check for the first service on the bike.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Fairly close call a few weeks ago. I was stopped on a red in the left hand lane. Turned my head to trade nods with an Suzuki rider in the left turn lane and I hear a screech. Looked back to find a bumper about 3" from my tire. What really gets me is that the driver and his wife are both pointing ahead as if to say

R

·
0 Posts
Twice in my life I was sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change or cars to move when I looked in the mirror to see a big 18 wheeler with the brakes locked up tires smoking coming up behind me.

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
Twice in my life I was sitting in traffic waiting for the light to change or cars to move when I looked in the mirror to see a big 18 wheeler with the brakes locked up tires smoking coming up behind me.

Whoa, twice? There must be way too many 18 wheelers where you live! That's a hell of a story. I think my 3rd Eye rear mirrors are too small...

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I got brake checked at a stoplight last fall. It was in the city and the guy ahead of me hit his brakes on the yellow to stop, I had to brake hard to stop, unfortunately the guy behind me didn't stop in time. I rode away, but wasn't exactly a fun day...

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
when i was an alter boy, i nearly got rear ended in
the rectory.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I'm amazed that there are 8 "yes" votes.

Getting hit before actually coming to a complete stop doesn't qualify for the argument in the previous thread about whether or not to be in neutral.

Were any of the "Yes" responders actually stopped at a light, the first one on the row, and got hit from behind?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It is amazing. I guess I better start worrying MORE while stopped. There's just no way I can reef back on the clutch the entire time, though....I can already feel my wrist separating from my forearm!

·
Registered
385 Posts
In 1989 I was rear ended while riding on Lyons Ave. in Valencia. The woman who hit me was doing 60mph in a 45 and just drove right into me as I was going down the road. My bike was locked in the grill of her van and I was locked in between the subframe and the tank.
She was cited for speeding and that's all. I sued her and recieved 15k. The max allowed by her insurance.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
My incident was at a railroad crossing. I stay in gear at traffic lights, but I was gonna be there a while so I put it in neutral and sat up. Can't see anything useful in the mirrors in that position. You'd figure at a railroad crossing...... barrier, flashing lights, a half dozen cars stacked up.....

I was only bumped. Didn't go down. No damage. I was just indredulous. Young girl talking on her cell phone :mad:

Two weeks later a coworker got rear ended by a DPW truck while stopped at a light. Messed him and his brand new VTX 1800 up. He got the bike fixed and was back on it but it took several months both for him and the bike to be ready to ride again.

·
Banned
773 Posts
i was stopped at a light in 1975 on a rd-350 when i heard skidding tires and the d*mn thing just squirted forward about 6 feet and laid down, leaving me standing there with a bronze colored pontiac about 1 foot behind me. rotflmao, i swear i never fell or anything, just turned around and looked at the driver going what the f*ck?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
i just changed my vote from no to escaped. i'll leave the "cool" out because i'm not. while stopping for a light on a rainy day in the city, i heard the sound of sliding tires. realizing it wasn't me, i proceeded cautiously into the intersection, sucsessfuly avoiding being squished by a cab.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ROFLMAO...that's amazing!

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Yes...Towards the end of the second day while touring with a friend. I was slowing down for a traffic light, all of a sudden there is this impact, and I

·
Registered
849 Posts
I never got rear-ended, but got hit head-on twice - once in a car (does that count?) while stopped waiting to make a left turn. Fool was drunk and plowed into us going 60mph and accelerating. Totalled our cherry '68 Cougar. Funny part was Lissy and I were working as "Scareactors" at Universal for Halloween and we still had our makeup on (this was at 3 in the morning). I jumped out of the car and proceeded calling the guy every name in the book with fake blood dripping from my face. Then there was a decent-sized earthquake and I thought I was in the process of passing out or something until I realized it was the earth I was standing on, not me.

Second time was a few weeks ago on the R6. I was stopped behind a huge dumpster truck of the big Caterpillar kind. The lady that was driving it decided she needed to make some strategic adjustments to her lane positioning and all I could do was stick out my left arm when I saw her backup lights flash up. The nose of the bike disappeared underneath the truck, I grabbed the lower edge of the bed and she started to push me backwards for a good twenty or thirty feet until she stopped after accelarating to at least 8 - 10 miles an hour, whatever those things do throttle floored in reverse. I have a big scratch on my brand new double bubble Puig from that. Too glad to be alive to take her plate number, shoulda made her pay for that windscreen.

BTW, good thing I was in neutral ;)

-R.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Well, this is as close as I've come, the T-Bone I mentioned in my last post.

I roll up to a red light at a large city intersection, and get into the right turn lane and stop. The street I'm on has 2 lanes each way for straight through traffic, a left turn lane and the right turn lane I occupy. The cross street is IIRC, 3 lanes, traffic is moderate but fast, 50-60 mph. No obvious gap coming to get into, so I roll forward partway into the crosswalk, with the bike still in gear.

That's when it got exciting.

I hear a huge KA-WHANG from my left.
I look to my left. There are two 'visual snapshots' still burned into my long-term memory...

Snapshot #1: The car that made the huge KA-WHANG is jumping off of the corner sidewalk. Right front fender is shredded, and the right front wheel has about 60 degrees of toe-out. Ma Duffer is at the wheel, and Pa Duffer is a helpless passenger (actually they both were...). A quick mental calculation of the trajectory predicts that the car will slide right in front of me. NOT...

Snapshot #2: The aforementioned car is sliding through the crosswalk, and I see four eyes the size of dinner plates on Ma & Pa Duffer. The c0ckeyed right front wheel is steering the car my direction. Another quick mental calculation of the trajectory predicts that the car is locked on target, and I'm it.:eek:

I have enough time to say "Oh SH!T!" and realize that I'm gonna get hammered unless I run for it. I drop the clutch, swing my left leg up over the tank as the bike rolls forward a little, and sprint about three steps before I hear the WHUMP as the car drills my poor scooter :'(, and then a CLANK an the car stuffs into the curb.

I turn around to survey the scene, and see my bent bike laying in the bushes in front of the corner burger shop. Ma & Pa Duffer are sitting stunned in the car, still looking straight ahead. Several folks are hotfooting it out of the burger shop to see if everyone is alright. They ask me if i'm alright, and I answer "Yes, but you better look at them." A few comments of surprise that I escaped without a scratch. An ambulance arrives, and hauls the apparently uninjured Ma & Pa Duffer away. One of the paramedics comments "Usually in a car vs. cycle accident, we're hauling the rider away...". One of the witnesses from the burger shop says they hit my bike while it was still upright.......

With the bike in gear like it was, I could have jumped forward 6 feet or so, and maybe gotten away scott free. Or maybe gotten clipped as I launched, entering the cross traffic out of control. I'll never know. I didn't even think of it at the time. All I thought was RUN!
Never found out why Ma & Pa Duffer ended up half on the sidewalk, clipping a no parking sign and then the lightpost that folded the wheel back.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts