Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my obnoxious side won out again tonight. I pulled apart my Yoshi slip-ons and knocked the stuffin' out of them. :)

I'm planning on using screws when I put them back together, just in case it's a bit too loud, but found out that the rear section is already threaded! How nice of them. Guess I'll just rivet the front and use screws on the rear.

One thing though. When people tell you to where a mask or respirator when opening your cans up, listen! Man my lungs hurt..... :-X

S

·
0 Posts
yeah, the carbon build-up in mufflers is NASTY!!!
one suggestion... wrap your cores with header-wrap if you don't want to bother with exhaust packing. yep... they'll be louder than when packed, but if you use NOTHING, your carbon shells will get cooked up, discolor, and deteriorate fairly quickly.

H

·
0 Posts
one suggestion... wrap your cores with header-wrap if you don't want to bother with exhaust packing. yep... they'll be louder than when packed, but if you use NOTHING, your carbon shells will get cooked up, discolor, and deteriorate fairly quickly.
I'm glad you mentioned that, strati, because, I'm planning to gut and shorten my Remus carbon cans this weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
DON"T DO IT HERB!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ha! Thanks for the info Strati! I can see a smalll spot where the packing had deteriorated and the CF is kinda purple and glassy already.

I'm taking the cans down to the paint shop to see if they can 'recondition' the CF, along with a few other CF bits I have that are heavily faded.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh yeah, didn't mention that each pipe lost about 4 pounds after removing the packing. Slap some Termi stickers on there and we're good for at least 5 more HP. :p

S

·
0 Posts
I'm taking the cans down to the paint shop to see if they can 'recondition' the CF, along with a few other CF bits I have that are heavily faded.
depending on how much they'll charge you, you may want to give it a go yourself first... just give them a nice light wet-sanding and spray a few light even coats of high-temp clearcoat with wet-sanding between each coat. should restore a nice deep looking finish. if it comes out looking like poo, send the shells along with your $$ to the paint shop ;)

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice Strati. Quick question on the wrapping though. Are you refferring to something like this?

Seems like the above sheilding would stick to the inside of the cans. Or something more for the actual internal pipes, like this?

<< I found both of these in the Misc section at MotoWheels >>

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the clarification Herb! Now, the internal pipe is perforated, so I'm guessing that I just wrap that sucker up and ta-da, straight pipe with fancy CF cans is born? :D

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
Just repacked my hindle cf exhausts as they burned through last summer creating a couple quarter sized yellowish spots on the inside of both cans. My own fault for running 12-13 hr days on my 6000 mile trip through 100 + weather. I just used some fiberglass patch and resin and it's not too bad as it's on the inside. Definately noticeable though. I'm going to replace the cannisters next year when I can afford it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts