Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you warm up your engine?Does everyone wait until the temp guage stops blinkin "LOW LOW" then ride off.Or do you just start and go whenever idle is stable and then take it easy until it reads the actual temperature?

I personally always wait until I get a temp reading.The thing is that I park in a parking garage with a very steep hill so I cannot push it outside and start the thing in open air.

Not too big of a deal but Ive had a few complaints and alot of nasty stares while warming up my bike in the garage.

Also...I had my battery die the other day,had to jump start it off a car..is this bad?

Weird thing is that it started up fine at home I went 45miles mixed freeway and twisties, parked it for 5 hrs and it was nearly dead when i got back.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I park in a shared garage too. I spin the clutch to nudge it outside cold (no hill) and anxiously await a temp reading.

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts
Mine's old enough that it has no temp gauge. But regardless, I just start it up and go, keeping revs low for the first minute or two. I've always done that, and it doesn't seem to have harmed my bike's longevity any.

If you wish to do a proper warmup, though, your parking garage is a perfectly appropriate place to do that. If you haven't put some obnixiously loud pipe on it, then you're 100% within your rights, and the complainers go go stuff it. If you do have a loud pipe, then the problem is partly your fault, and you may need to make a compromise.

Jumping a bike off a car battery is not best practice, but it can be done if needed. It's the same voltage, but a much higher amp rating. When jumping a car from a car, it is recommended to have the jumping car running to keep its battery full during the process. That can overwhelm a bike's system, though, so when jumping a bike from a car battery, it's better if the car is not running.

I'd look into (or have someone look into) why the battery died after riding it, though. That's not normal, and is worrisome. How old is your battery? Often, after two or three years, the vibration gets to them and they don't hold a charge well anymore.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
If I am starting it in the garage, I wait at least 60 seconds to let the oil pump disperse oil, never want to drive it too dry... usually I start up the bike, then put on my gear (jacket, gloves, helmet), sit on the bike and by then, its ready to go.

When outside, I use the choke to make the determination. If I can turn off the choke (my new 796 with electronic choke has not arrived yet and my 02 750ie had a choke), I knew the bike was ready to go if I could turn off the choke all the way and the bike ran without studdering or feeling like it was going to die when in nuetral.

Most mechanics seem to say that one or two minutes is fine, unless it was sitting in below 40 temps for a while, then a bit longer helps.

If I waited until the low temp turned off on my bike, I'd be sitting there for 15 minutes... my bike takes forever to warm up that much...

Just another view ;)

Firf

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philb- youre right they should go shove it, even after I put my pipes on it haha.And youre spot on about the battery also.And Ithink you were the one that wanted to draw a "2" infront of the odom.?If that is you,then it must not be a problem to just start it and go.....

I recently picked up a 2002 m750Sie (the one in my avatar)

It had 3000miles on it,didnt even make it to the first real oil change...
Original everything.Plus a few extras...steering damper,clip ons,kickstand bypass

It was always garage stored on a battery tender.
Unfoutunatlybecause I park in a shared garage I dont have that necessity/luxury.

Is there such a thing as a battey tender that works on battery power(like a car battery being the power source)?

How long should a new battery be able to hold a good charge after being parked?3days?a week?a month?

Anyone have a recommendation of where to buy one online and which brand is best?

Also which battery charger is the best for the money.Im not looking for anything over $100.00...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I waited until the low temp turned off on my bike, I'd be sitting there for 15 minutes... my bike takes forever to warm up that much...
Firf
Yup mine takes about that long from a cold start.Thats why I ask because even I get a little light headed from the fumes filling up the garage.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Once you get throttle response, go (although revving it up in the garage for 10 minutes does sound like fun).
The key to knowing when to REALLY go vs when to slow is oil temp, not water temp.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Start, gear and go

Usually I roll my bike out of the garage, start it, close the door, put my gear on and go - on very cold winter days, though, I might let it warm up a minute or two more...

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Yup mine takes about that long from a cold start.Thats why I ask because even I get a little light headed from the fumes filling up the garage.
Hmmmm...maybe subconsciously I let it warm up longer for the fumes effect. Makes those early morning rides psychedelic ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Philb- youre right they should go shove it, even after I put my pipes on it haha.And youre spot on about the battery also.And Ithink you were the one that wanted to draw a "2" infront of the odom.?If that is you,then it must not be a problem to just start it and go.....

Original everything.Plus a few extras...steering damper,clip ons,kickstand bypass

Unfoutunatlybecause I park in a shared garage I dont have that necessity/luxury.

Is there such a thing as a battey tender that works on battery power(like a car battery being the power source)?

How long should a new battery be able to hold a good charge after being parked?3days?a week?a month?

Anyone have a recommendation of where to buy one online and which brand is best?

Also which battery charger is the best for the money.Im not looking for anything over $100.00...
I have the battery tender jr... I had it plugged in during the winter and it started up just fine this spring.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Being that I have my bike garaged, I actually have the Battery Jr. terminal rings attached and have it plugged in all the time, all year (except when riding or parked elsewhere as the cords are not that long ;) ).

·
Super Moderator
3,955 Posts

Yes, I expect to hit 200K on mine next year. It's held up just fine.

I don't know of any battery-powered battery chargers; I'd be surprised if such a thing existed. But it probably wouldn't be too hard to build if you knew a good electrical engineer.

I'd expect a good battery to hold its charge for at least a month, unless it's in really cold weather. You'd want to give it good long ride then, though, to charge it back up (or take it out, bring it in, and put a charger on it).

PhilB

·
Registered
215 Posts
i always warm my bike up for a couple minutes before riding. when i park the bike at home after a ride, i pop the seat off and prop the tank. it keeps the heat from lingering under the tank. a little obsessive i know.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I guess the concensus is that most everyone, just starts it up,wait a few mins to get throttle response and go?

Must be the way to do it.When I get some loud cans,thats how Ill roll...

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Shut up and ride!!!!! Other than that, let the oil get to the heads warm up enough to not let it stall, and if people get pissed its because their jealous that they dont have a majestic beast such as yours.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Letting the engine warm up is a waste of fuel; todays engines are designed to be driven right off the start, by doing this engine will come up to temperature faster than letting it idle. Making the engine work will warm up the engine much faster, save fuel and reduce emissions than letting it idle to try and reach normal temperature.I do agree it will take about 10 minutes or so of driving to bring the engine up to normal temperature or so; for best performance and longest life of the turbo and the motor, its best that other than light acceleration not be done until the engine is near normal temperature. From a cold dead start, it would take nearly 20 minutes or so at idle to come to the normal temp; driving the vehicle will cut the time by at least 50%, so that's how you save fuel and remember that at idle the vehicle is still putting out emissions, but going no where.So, I recommend just driving off as soon as you started the vehicle. Don't accelerate hard until the engine has at least gotten off the cold mark and you'll find this is the best compromise between warm up time, fuel savings, longest life of the turbo and motor, and lower emissions.
HID Kits

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Letting the engine warm up is a waste of fuel; todays engines are designed to be driven right off the start, by doing this engine will come up to temperature faster than letting it idle. Making the engine work will warm up the engine much faster, save fuel and reduce emissions than letting it idle to try and reach normal temperature.I do agree it will take about 10 minutes or so of driving to bring the engine up to normal temperature or so; for best performance and longest life of the turbo and the motor, its best that other than light acceleration not be done until the engine is near normal temperature. From a cold dead start, it would take nearly 20 minutes or so at idle to come to the normal temp; driving the vehicle will cut the time by at least 50%, so that's how you save fuel and remember that at idle the vehicle is still putting out emissions, but going no where.So, I recommend just driving off as soon as you started the vehicle. Don't accelerate hard until the engine has at least gotten off the cold mark and you'll find this is the best compromise between warm up time, fuel savings, longest life of the turbo and motor, and lower emissions.
HID Kits
+eleventy-billion

·
Banned
69 Posts
HID Kits
Forgive the newbie question, but how do you just ride off? Do you ease on the throttle while you shift to first? If I try to just ride off, my bike stalls.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts