Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was going about the process of cleaning up my bike after doing a bit of maintenance, just generally trying to make it look nice, and when it came to wrapping my exhaust I found that my exhaust header on my front valve is rusted to it. I don't have a drill or a bit to drill it out so I determined that the best thing that I could do for me and my bike was to drop the engine and swap it out. I've got a salvaged s2r 800 engine that I could cannibalize my 620 to get running and I've got a complete 1000 ds that I could drop in and rock with.

I've read the 1000 ds would be a little bit harder to work than the S2R 800 but what all is the difference?

·
Registered
217 Posts
Probably easier to pull the head off and take it to someone to remove the stud.
Or it the header won't come off the head?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I figured if I was gonna drop the engine I mind as well put a better one in. Also the bolt is rusted in place and the shop that I work out of is like you'd have to buy the bit and drill it out yourself (never done that) or we could do it for about $600 and I know I can find a better engine for that much. I've seen you reply to a few of my posts and just now put it together that you're from Queensland. Oy **** (aussie slang for hey bro for all my non aussies or kiwis or south Africans or Irish or Scottish okay for my American people). It seems like most bands I like from Australia are from that part lol.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Have you stripped the hex on the nut?
If not soak it in WD40 or similar overnight, start and run the bike until hot and try then.
You'd be surprised how much a bit of heat can help.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Rusted and stripped
I always use metrinch spanners and sockets to try and avoid this.
Youll have to grind the nut off or split the nut preferably.
Once the exhaust is out of the way you might get a stud extractor to work.
It may sound like a stuff around and you'll have to buy the tools but still cheaper than another motor.
Stupid jobs like this is how people wind off owning tools that only get used once every two years.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right but I don't know how to do this and for what it's worth it's better to just drop the engine. I wanted something bigger anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts