Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I got a 2001 Duc Monster 750 Dark and was curious about replacing the engine for one a bit more powerful. What engine could I drop in the 2001 750Dark's frame? And any ideas what it would cost for the engine/parts neccessary?

Cheers :)

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I'd put a blower on it...

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You can slip a 900 carbie motor with very little drama.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrough cost of a 900 carbie engine?

id be looking at buying it next year as im just about to put my baby away for the winter in the next few weeks, I get 3 foot of snow where I am :(

Basically I can get 200kmph out of my 750 and after I stick the Remus cans on her I should be able to get that speed up a little. So sticking a 900 engine in there would deffinately make a difference. I wana see 230/240 on the speedo, which means buying a new speedo as it only goes upto 220 ROFL

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
If you're interested in top speed, put a fairing on what you have. A naked bike is like a flying brick & adding more HP will do very little for top speed.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
If you're getting 200kph from your 750, you'll need a pretty hot 900 to see 230kph.

banshee,
I'm pretty sure that carbie 750 and 900 engines will fit your chassis.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
ChrisR1982Edin said:
ok I got a 2001 Duc Monster 750 Dark and was curious about replacing the engine for one a bit more powerful. What engine could I drop in the 2001 750Dark's frame? And any ideas what it would cost for the engine/parts neccessary?

Cheers :)
Your situation is a touch different than the M600 guy. Your engine is injected and the 1.5m computer controls everything ... To make the engine swap the easiest, you'll want a donor engine from another 1.5m run bike. It *is* possible that an engine from a u5.9 bike will work, but I don't know if there are differences with the pickup coil.

1.5m engined Ducati models:
2000-2001 M900ie
(us) 1999-2001? SS900ie - for the world market, the SSie started in 1998.
MH900e
ST2/ST4 some have 1.6m ecu, but that shouldn't matter. These are liquid cooled bikes.

Bikes with u5.9 ecu that *should* fit and work:
2002 and up Monster 620/750/800/900/1000, including S2R
2002 and up 4valve monster (but then you need to make radiators and stuff happen)
200? and up 800 or 1000 SSie
200? ST3 liquid cooled

Bikes that have different swingarm pivot in the cases (and thus would make difficult engine swap)
748/916/996/998
Multistrada

:)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
'01 M750 injected ???

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
+1 on Norm's comments on aero and bricks. M900s (carbed) only see about 125mph indicated under good conditions - that's what, roughly 215 kph? The same motor in a fully faired 900 SS may be able to nudge 130-135ish. There is definitely an aerodynamic wall that the unfaired bikes hit, and even a large jump(in 2V motor terms) in HP yields very little additional speed above that point.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
Mark1305 said:
+1 on Norm's comments on aero and bricks. M900s (carbed) only see about 125mph indicated under good conditions - that's what, roughly 215 kph? The same motor in a fully faired 900 SS may be able to nudge 130-135ish. There is definitely an aerodynamic wall that the unfaired bikes hit, and even a large jump(in 2V motor terms) in HP yields very little additional speed above that point.
Yeah, to do a little math:

the force generated by air drag goes up with the square of the speed
power is force times speed

so top speed goes up with the cube of the power -> to go twice as fast you need 8 times as much power (2x2x2=8).

so to go from 200 to 230 its 1.15 times as fast, which requires 1.52 times as much power. (1.15x1.15x1.15=1.52)

A few extra HP from a new exhaust is barely going to make any difference at all to the top speed (though it will make itself felt on the way to that top speed). If you really want to go 15% faster at the top end (without improving aerodynamics), you're going to need to go from the ~70hp you've got now to over 100hp - you're looking at a seriously worked 900 (MBP heads and FCRs or injection with something like a PCIII or FIM computer) or a 4 valve motor with all the associated watercooling and single swingarm issues...

If you just want a bit more "oomph" from the bike you've got, try dropping the gearing - yeah that _might_ affect the top speed, but there's people who suggest it won't since the 750s are geared too high to pull peak power in top gear anyway, but it _will_ make it more fun on the way to whatever top speed ends up being.

If you _really_ _really_ want to spend your time going *fast*, then the Monster may not be the bike for you - you should be able to pick up a 1-3 year old Japanese 600 that'll outrun _any_ Monster at the top end for less than you could sell your 5 year old 750 for...

big

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
howlingbanshee said:
just a quick question....
what other duc engine can you stick in the monster 600?
To further extrapolate this thread into the threadosphere (I think I just made that up)...

What about 03+ FI models, 620, 800, 1000DS...?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
AFAIK, you can swap among the 2V motors, as long as you're willing to swap the appropriate wiring and electronics.
There's airbox/tank/carbs/injectors/fuelpump issues to be sorted.
At the least....

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
The 02+ 2V engines use a 12mm engine mounting bolt all pre 02 engines use a 10mm bolt(this might be some 01's as well). I just put a 2000 M900Sie in a 2002 M620ie frame. I had to get bushings made and The fuel lines to the throttle bodies need to be re-plumbed. The pressure relief valve gets in the way of the crossmember on the newer style frames.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hey Big,

I totally won't argue with your math, but a 75~80hp monster 900 can see 130. Even my less powerful S2R 800 was hitting 130 on Fontana's banking almost every lap... >:D Back when I was young AND stupid (as opposed to just stupid now), I had my 900ss up to an indicated 155. And the ZX7R next to me was topped out at an indicated 165. That was when my SS had the spaghetti high pipes, 944, FCRs, and was making like 85hp. And my mad-sick Pongo with the all out 104hp motor? I chicken out at 135 or so (and at half throttle). I'd need a more stable chassis to go faster.

Perhaps something missing from your calculations are that the 750's HP peak is well below max rpm. Well, all 2Vs seem to do that. So when topped out, there is 20% less power? I dunno, we're mostly in theory-land, so the lab and actual experience has to be the ruler.

;D

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well my Remus pipes have been fitted and its made a big difference! My acceleration is faster, she is alot more Torque'y. She gets to top gear pretty quickly, much quicker than before, sometimes I think theres another gear to go! LOL but anyways.. she hits 180kmph and things start slowing down. I hug the tank and tuck my arms and knees in and hide my head behind my screen and after a little bit of hard acceleration she hit 210kmph at around 7500rpm, vibrating like hell ROFL I actually cracked the light fitting on the back of my bike!! A bit of superglue where the bolt screws into a PLASTIC fitting ??? and alls fine ROFL its ok because im having a maddoctor tail chop LED kit fitted asap :)

So if she is now pulling 210kmph if I stick a 900 carbed engine in... im looking at??? 220 but get there alot smoother??

Yeh when you were talking about injection I was getting confused.. 2001 and before are carb bikes, injection came in 2002.

So I can stick a 2001 monster 900 carb engine into my 750 frame with no problems? Right.. now I know what im saving up for over the winter period :D get it fitted just before I restart my insurance :)

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
ChrisR1982Edin said:
Yeh when you were talking about injection I was getting confused.. 2001 and before are carb bikes, injection came in 2002.

So I can stick a 2001 monster 900 carb engine into my 750 frame with no problems? Right.. now I know what im saving up for over the winter period :D get it fitted just before I restart my insurance :)
Monsters got injection in 2001 with the introduction of the S4 4v bike, the 2v bikes didnt get it until 2002.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.