Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-/I have a 97 M900 needing top end work. Has anyone pulled the engine on one of these things. In studying my manual, it appears you have to pretty much dismantle the whole motorcycle in the process, including the rear suspension, swing arm, etc). Any estimate on how long it takes to get the engine free from the bike?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Yep, I've done it. Assuming you've got tools and you're reasonably handy, probably take you the best part of an afternoon.

You could theoretically, leave the swing attached to the motor if you chose, but pretty much the rest of the bike has to come apart to lift the frame off the motor.

I live on Val Vista and Elliot in Gilbert. Let me know if you need a hand.
Dion

·
Registered
195 Posts
Is it possible to just pull the jugs with the engine in place? Obviously the horizontal cylinder would be a piece of cake, but the vertical...?

M.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good point. Is it really necessary to pull the motor? Will pulling the carbs and airbox give enough access?
Dion

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My handy dandy Haynes manual says no, you have to pull the engine. In studying the bike, it appears that they're correct. There just isn't room to lift the head and jug off the crankcase. I wish it were so, but. . .

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bah... That sucks. That's one area where my old BMW R90S takes Ducati to town - nothing in the world has better access to jugs and heads. At the expense, of course, of a somewhat non-adjustable maximum lean angle :)

Hey, Jar, so maybe I missed it, but... Did you look at the valve seals, and try putting a few hundred miles on the bike with a different oil, or did you come across data (leak-down test, etc) which makes you pretty sure that you need rings? To me that just seems an awfully big (and unlikely) problem to have with such a low-mile engine... At least, I hope it's unlikely :)

M.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Well Haynes says you can't pull the vertical jug with the motor in the frame, but examining my bike, I disagree. Mechanics have told me that it can be done.

There may be differences in frames that make this a model-year dependent thing.

Mine's a '99

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you end up dropping the engine, can you document and take some pictures for us of the process? I have a haynes manual as well, but real-world info/photos seems to be much more helpful. :)

Im debating rebuilding my own engine, or just buying a used one with lower mileage on ebay or something. It just turned over 66k miles. It burns oil and has a leak at the back of the engine under the swingarm..

-mike

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:'(There's some history to this bike. It's a 97 with only 1500 miles on it (I bought it this summer w/300 miles and it started to use/burn oil at about the 600 mile mark, just after the "initial" service) and it sat for 5+ years. I had the valve stem seals changed and it didn't help. It's got good compression (125 psi), but it's still burning oil and smoking like a diesel. Only the horizontal cyclinder seems to be using, as evidenced by the spark plugs. I'm thinking about just putting in a "drop in" piston kit from FBF in both cylinders and I'll need to pull the engine to do it (I think--according to my Haynes Manual). The Ducati tech and I are thinking it might have a broken oil ring (?), but that's only a guess. At any rate, the only thing holding me back is the idea of separating the motor from the rest of the bike. The horizontal cylinder is easy to get to and I could do a standard "ring job" without disturbing much. Hmmmmmm. . .

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
;DBased on responses to a different post (drop in piston kits) it appears that removing the engine/frame is NOT necessary to get the head and cylinder off the verticle cylinder. If this is so, there's clarity to my course of action now (drop in piston kit as opposed to just replacing the rings on the horizonal piston). ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts