Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is the red line on this motor..........S2R? I think it was very illogical for Ducati not to put a red line on the Tach

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
there is a rev limiter so you get to figure out the red line as a surprise. always fun when you hit it in 4th gear right before you upshift.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think it's 8800 on the 800.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
All the info I have says its 9000. My personal experience is spotty as I am usually not watching the gages when I am redlining.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
The tachometer is used across several different models, that have different redlines, so that's why it's not marked.

I thought the owner's manual had that info ???

·
Registered
704 Posts
s2r 800 or 1000?

in order to know exactly where the limiter is on my s2r 1000, i went out and found it. its just a hair past 8700 rpm (subject to a bit of perception of course)

one thing i am sure of is that it kicked in prior to 9000 rpm

definitely a good spot to be aware of on the tac if you keep the rpms high [thumbsup]

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I would rather not have a marked redline than have one you can't reach, like on my 888. The rev limiter kicks in before 9500, even though it still seems willing to rev. The tachometer has the redline marked at 10,000:

·
Registered
322 Posts
since a desmo engine doesn't have 'valve float' isn't it possible for it to also not have an actual red line? aren't rev limiters installed to prevent engine damage due to a floating valve? since our bikes have no spring loaded valves we could theoretically rev them to 20,000 rpms with no consequence. am i right or am i waaaay off base?

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
At some point, the rings will float, or the pin will pull the bottom off of the piston, or the pin will pull the end off the rod, or the closer rocker will pull the end off the valve, etc.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Yep. Just because there aren't valve springs to deal with doesn't mean that other moving parts can handle higher RPMs. Piston speed plays a role, for example. Sooner or later something will give if piston speeds are pushed too far. The laws of physics are hard to cheat.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
11ty billion rpm [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

·
Premium Member
1,988 Posts
I seem to remember about 4500 feet per min. (piston speed) as getting into the danger zone. And going past peak power by more than just a little is an exercise in futility if you're not on a race track and don't need the over run because of gearing in a particular turn etc. I'm guessing most models are good for about 500 rpm past peak power.

I've run mine to 11,000 just to see and the limiter didn't come in. Probably was about to though. The kit ECUs extend redline somewhat.

Things are getting so busy at those speeds it's hard to watch the tack or speedo though. I'm glad the limiter is there.

LA

·
Banned
1,235 Posts
I have hit the limiter on multiple occasions, especially in lower gears when not paying much attention.

But you very distinctively feel the power decrease just before you hit it.

unless the engine is modded in ways to make power much higher in the rpms, what's the point of revving real high. Isn't it why we all ride V-twins? because you get most your power down low...

Q

1 - 18 of 18 Posts