Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys
I have a 05 M620 Dark and I was just looking to get some input into my problem. The bike starts up, rides and does everything like a dream. Only problem is that when shifting gears, there is either a loud "clunk" or a grinding noise. It usually happens from 1-2 and 2-3.

I went todo my oil change at the end of the season and when I pulled the drain plug, there was a decent amount of metal shavings on the magnet( I added a picture) . The oil looked clean and didn't have any sparkle to it.

Now I know that metal shavings on the drain plug is not a good thing. But where do I go from there? Should I disassemble the engine and see what is worn out or broken? Could there be a specific part that anyone knows of that could cause a problem like that? Im just kind of lost and not in the mood to send it to a mechanic and pay a ton. Im looking to fix the problem myself as I have a decent amount of knowledge about motocycles and rebuilt a few dirt bike engines before (I know its not the same but still something).

I would really appreciate someones 0.02 on this.
Thanks!
Automotive tire Gas Electric blue Household hardware Auto part

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Electric blue Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you have used too thin of an oil or been a tight arse with your oil change schedule it might be from grinding gears as the gear changes will be horrible with old or the wrong oil.
Before getting into a panic I'd cut the oil filter open and see what's inside, also remove and check the oil mesh tube inside the engine and see what it has caught.
What was in the bottom of your oil drain pan?
The magnet won't catch alloy.
I see foil in the background so I'm assuming you drop the oil while hot?
Do you use a rearstand or your sidestand while changing oil?
"HOPEFULLY" the mesh, filter and plug has the worst of the debris out of circulation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have used too thin of an oil or been a tight arse with your oil change schedule it might be from grinding gears as the gear changes will be horrible with old or the wrong oil. Before getting into a panic I'd cut the oil filter open and see what's inside, also remove and check the oil mesh tube inside the engine and see what it has caught. What was in the bottom of your oil drain pan? The magnet won't catch alloy. I see foil in the background so I'm assuming you drop the oil while hot? Do you use a rearstand or your sidestand while changing oil? "HOPEFULLY" the mesh, filter and plug has the worst of the debris out of circulation.
1: I Used the recommended oil from the owners manual but I have heard of people using diffrent viscosity’s that work better. I will give that a try when I fill it up next time. 2: going to go work on the bike rn and will check the oil filter(good idea). Where could I find the mesh tube? Is there access to it without disassembling the whole engine? 3: the bottom of the pan was fairly clean. Dident see any sparkles or metal. Reason for the aluminum foil is so that I don’t get my exhaust covered in oil (I have a fiberglass wrap around the exhaust). I used a rear stand for the oil change. Should I be using the kickstand?

·
Registered
506 Posts
Use the rear stand to do oil and check the oil level, if you do the oil level on the side stand you will over fill it.
I use foil on the exhaust to stop oil getting on the hot exhaust, oil flows out better, dragging more gunk with it when hot.
The mesh filter is behind pic rel, your bike might not have the sensor in the outer plug.
Unscrew the outer plug and then you'll need a big Allen key to unscrew the mesh tube.
I can't remember if it was 10mm or bigger.
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design
Textile Sleeve Pink Hat Material property

·
Registered
321 Posts

kinda interesting to find. shows the parts good. do you have aftermarket levers on that bike. can mess with clutch action.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

kinda interesting to find. shows the parts good. do you have aftermarket levers on that bike. can mess with clutch action.
I do have aftermarket levers and I replaced the clutch plates at the begging of the 2022 season. What could be messed up with the clutch?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aftermarket levers can be a problem with fully engaging
look at the shift fork too
I just realized what the problem could be before I saw your reply. When I installed the new levers, I never adjusted the screw that pushes on where it activates the clutch, therefore the clutch was not activating fully and causing shitty gear shifts. I ordred new levers since I wanted to replace the ones I have now. Im going to take apart the left side of the bottom end and see how stripped the gears are. If they messed up, I will go buy the set off ebay that you sent before and technically if I do everything properly, it will shift fine. I also noticed that the shifter is a bit bent inwards (might have been when I dropped the bike taking it off the stand SMH) so that could also effect the shifting. Just ordered a new one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts