Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Hardware difference? Before 2009, three pin canbus, after, 4 pin?

Ordered and waiting. Delivery next week. Hope I've got it right.
Hardware too. Although I don't have any experience with the older cables, I have noticed that you need to go to the battery on those.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
@breaddrink
I wrongly assumed you had 1200 since we're on the 1200 section.
BTW, the SR is a great looking Monster. One of my favorites.
Do check your ECU model for the appropriate software just to make sure.
No man I appreciate any response at all :)

Just dipping my toes into the whole jpdiag and guzzydiag waters here, and it seems messy to say the least.

There's a forum on the jpdiag page, that again wasn't working when I first looked, but now is.. But man it's complicated. Lots of french speaking users, and hard to really get a beginners guide to how to get up and running.

It's like a lot of very niche areas or hobby sites where all the people discussing it have already made a connection and speak with confidence, but from my perspective hard to know how to get there, or even started..

I'm terrified of bricking the ECU. I just want to connect safely and find out with confidence which version of everything to use, you know?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
@breaddrink
You're absolutely right about you're hobbyist comment. BUT, That also makes it cool tho.
Ducati doesn't want you to do this. Therefore, there's an outlaw thrill to this.
I'm not worried about bricking an ECU especially a stock one. Loosing my Rexxer flash would be worst.
We'll all share our finding here. Cheers.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Success.
My cable/s came from Tuner Tools.
Three pin can-bus plug was tucked out of sight under battery on left side of bike. Don't know if that's usual, but it's moved so it's readily accessible now.
Had Jpdiag.
Successfully identified type from the three pics presented in jpdiag.
Took me a while to twig to the Com port entry. It was 3 for mine. (Found in Device Manager of course.)
Even unregistered, was able to delete some fault codes (which were not affecting the bike, no limp home or the like.)
Nearly midnight here and just got the licence reply from registering.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Ironically after following this thread I now have an engine light on my dash and no error code so I don’t know why it came on. So I just went ahead and ordered the cable because it’s for cases like this where I’m not trying to take it all the way to my mechanic for something so small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
312 Posts
So I ended up ordering the same cable from Lonelec as OP and didn’t realize I ordered two . If anyone wants one let me know. Shipping from the UK wasn’t cheap for what it was and it took a while. I’m in DC.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Bought a S4RS Tricolore. JPdiag can read the standard ecu, but I bought a 96517906B DP ecu, and tps reset didn't work for me in JPdiag. It appeared, but remained greyed out. Stuck on 8.7 - took it to the nearest Ducati agent, and they reset it for free with their Ducati tool.

·
Registered
4 Posts
696DCRider,
I'm interested in your 2nd cable. I have sent you a PM ! I'm new to the Ducati Monster 1200S, but want to know all about it !

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
696DCRider,
I'm interested in your 2nd cable. I have sent you a PM ! I'm new to the Ducati Monster 1200S, but want to know all about it !
You actually need two cables:

One to connect to the bike's Ducati DDA plug under the seat. (the 4 pin is found on the newer Ducati bikes otherwise it's a 3 pin)
https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-and-Car-OBD2-Adaptors/OBD2-Motorbike-Adaptors/Ducati-4-Pin-OBD2-Adaptor

and one to connect this cable to the USB port on your computer.
https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Car-Diagnostic-Code-Readers/ELM327-OBD2-USB-Interface

I bought both as a kit:
https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-OBD-Diagnostic-Cables/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-Ducatidiag-Hardware/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-4pin-Interface-Cable

·
Registered
312 Posts
You actually need two cables:

One to connect to the bike's Ducati DDA plug under the seat. (the 4 pin is found on the newer Ducati bikes otherwise it's a 3 pin)

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-and-Car-OBD2-Adaptors/OBD2-Motorbike-Adaptors/Ducati-4-Pin-OBD2-Adaptor

and one to connect this cable to the USB port on your computer.

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Car-Diagnostic-Code-Readers/ELM327-OBD2-USB-Interface

I bought both as a kit:

https://www.lonelec.co.uk/Motorbike-OBD-Diagnostic-Cables/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-Ducatidiag-Hardware/Guzzidiag-Melcodiag-4pin-Interface-Cable

Yup. I just clicked the link you posted so I essentially got 4 cables in the mail but 2 kits. Their site was a bit wonky and thats probably why I ended up adding it to the cart twice.

Btw, Does the software only work on Windows? If not I can spin up a VM on my Mac I guess.

·
Registered
4 Posts
696DCRider,
I would like to purchase that extra kit from you. I sent you a PM, let me know how I can arrange this. Thanks.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Btw, Does the software only work on Windows? If not I can spin up a VM on my Mac I guess.
I believe so. Not that i'm pleased about it since I'm a big fan of Linux which I've been using on my desktop for more than a decade.
I've installed it in a few laptops as well. All our computers are double boot with window 7 on a secondary HD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
696DCRider,
Hi DC, I sent you a pm, but the mail-demon says it won't be delivered until you clear your PMs (too many in que). :)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Errata

Yesterday, having just added fuel stabilizer to winterize my M1200R I started the engine to let the stuff go through the whole system.
Took a few attempts to keep it running as the Monster 1200's are cold blooded beasts. On one of those attempts, I got a error message and the engine light came on...Rats.
Oh, well, I'll have it reset in the spring.
BTW, -2c is way below the Ice Light warning which comes on around 4c.

Today, I decided to fool around with the DDA / ELM / USB cables I had purchased from www.lonelec.co.uk for the Panigale which I have never used.
Using the software that came with them I was able to reset the light....:grin
Who-da-known!

Correction:
The software disc I previously mentioned came with a blue-tooth elm not the cables. The Melcodiag software is what's required for Ducati specific resets and diagnostics.

·
Registered
312 Posts
@DarR I’ve been trying to use the cable and Melcodiag for my engine light. I’m having a hard time figuring out what the code I saw means and I wasn’t able to reset it for some reason even though I cleared it in the software. Do you know how you can look up the engine light codes and what I may be doing wrong to clear it?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #37

·
Registered
312 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #39