Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was just heading back from an afternoon in the twisties where everything was going fine. I hit the highway and after about 1 min of hard acceleration my bike started to hesitate, the engine was backfiring and finally gave out. I pulled over to the shoulder of the highway and after a few moments, like 5 min I was able to get the motor started and made it home without any other incidents.

At home I looked at the lines running off the tank, by the way I had just replaced the tank last week. There was a small kink in the line, but it did not look like it was enough to impede the flow of gas. I did my best to straighten the kink.

The next day I took the bike out and started off fine but once again when I hit the highway it started to backfire and hesitate and eventually kicked out. Back to the house to take a closer look. Air filter was fine and the plugs were fine. Rode up to the motorcycle shop and every thing was fine.

I am not sure if it was the kink in the line as I rode quite hard for 50 miles with no symptoms until just before I got home. Perhaps it was a bad tank of gas.

I ended up changing the fuel line and making shorter in order to prevent any kinking but I have not had a chance to take it out since then.

Any other things that I should be checking?

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
if it's fuel starvation, then if/when this happens again, immediately open the gas-cap when you pull over. if you hear a "whoosh" indicating air rushing into the tank, that'll tell you the cap's not vented properly. with vacuum building in the tank as the fuel's leaving, it becomse enough to starve the throttlebodies/carbs (depending on model). especially since you indicate you just changed the tank, it's something i'd look at.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
I would be looking exclusively at the fuel line routing and the tank venting. It's got to be one of those two.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

FYI I did open the latch but I did not hear anything. Also when I drained the tank to switch the fuel line it drained fine with the latch closed, so I don't think it is an issue with venting. I am hoping it was the kink.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I think you've fixed your problem.

I had the same thing last summer. What happens is that the fuel line warms up when you're running hard for an extended period. It becomes more flexible and will kink more than it does when it's cool and stiff.

When you sit by the road for even a couple of minutes, it cools enough for the kink to open up again.

BTDT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts