Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious about this... at idle, sounds like clanking's going on inside the engine (came that way)... at speed, you can't hear it. (I think it's more at low idle that you can hear it). Just thought it was part of the engine noise. It's "regular" sounding, not asynchronous. What sort of mechanical motion makes this noise? More than 1 DML member has mentioned hearing the same thing.

S

·
0 Posts
it's hard to say for sure because describing a sound's a very subjective thing. but my guess is you're hearing the valvetrain.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... guess it sounds kinda like someone's using a hammer to tap on the engine or something... since it's the valve train and you didn't mention any bad effects, this is normal?

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
Is yours a dry clutch model? Is so it could be the signs of a worn clutch basket. My 851 does the same thing.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Pretty sure Daffe's got a 750, wet clutch.

Could be the primary gears or tranny gears too.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
My 750 (wet clutch) does the same thing. I have attributed it to primary gears in the tranny (I rebuilt the engine and it still does it), I never worry about it, and it's done it for 50k mi.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep - have an M750 Dark wet clutch... ok primary gears... that's the source but why is it making that noise? too much slop? (via either worn parts or engineered into it?)

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
You may have more clearance than the 'blueprint' value, likely due to manufacturing tolerance.
There has to be some clearance in the worst case situation of temperature and manufacturing tolerances, so the gears don't bind. Your bike may be at the other end of the tolerance zone.

If the gears were worn, they would be whining or worse yet, howling. Very likely it's not a problem.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok got it... thanks for clearing that up! kinda was always bugging me! (esp. when setting the idle!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts