Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I have a Monster 1200 R that I have recently purchased. After completing an oil change and a thorough look around the bike after a nice 500 mile ride it appears to be leaking from several places along the engine casing and seeping at the vertical cylinder head.

I have an extensive mechanical background but I will say that I am not familiar at all with Ducati’s. To me it appears that the engine casing has been split before due to the “newness” of the Gasket Maker along the entire case.

This gasket maker also seems to be used for the cylinder heads which I’ve never seen before on any vehicle in my life time.

I have attached a few pictures below. If you guys could please let me know if your bike has gasket maker along these lines and if it looks older or the same as mine. Hopefully if I get an indication that the bike has been heavily fiddled with the dealership will take it back or reasonably resolve the issue.

Thank you all in advance. This forum is awesome.
Mike
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Rim Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Auto part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks normal to me. Ducatis will have stringy sealants at the casings from the factory. It happens like that. Resist the urge to tug on them and pull 'em off. Also Mike, I don't see any leaks.
Thanks for the reply. The leak in question is the red oil drip in the first picture. The Cylinders in the Service manual do not recommend Liqud Gasket to be used so I am wondering if the case was possibly split at one point and put back together wrong.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The leak in question is the red oil drip in the first picture. The Cylinders in the Service manual do not recommend Liqud Gasket to be used so I am wondering if the case was possibly split at one point and put back together wrong.
Resist the urge to overthink and be paranoid! That's the factory condition.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts