Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching on this in different combinations, but came up with nothing. Does anybody know what the engine case sidecovers are made of, and if so, are they polishable?

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
RogueMnstr said:
Tried searching on this in different combinations, but came up with nothing. Does anybody know what the engine case sidecovers are made of, and if so, are they polishable?
Depends. No they're not made of depends. It depends on what engine you're talking about. Some were magnesium, most are aluminum I believe. You would be able to polish the sidecovers, but to maintain it, you should clearcoat them after they're polished...

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
Crap cast aluminum. You can polish them but you'll never get the kind of shine of a billit item.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I polished the cast aluminum casings on my old Triumph from an abrasive finish to a mirror finish and it was a lot easier than I expected.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, interesting red duke. That's cool, but I'd prefer it without the decorative swoops.

I'm looking into this b/c I have to get my covers refinished anyways, and I kind of like that vintage polished look. Not sure if it'd be so good on a modern bike, though.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
RogueMnstr said:
Hmmm, interesting red duke. That's cool, but I'd prefer it without the decorative swoops.

I'm looking into this b/c I have to get my covers refinished anyways, and I kind of like that vintage polished look. Not sure if it'd be so good on a modern bike, though.
umm... those don't look like 'decorative' swoops... that looks like a whole new custom engine cover cut out of one big piece of billet Al!! very very nice :eek:

·
Registered
650 Posts
hiero said:
umm... those don't look like 'decorative' swoops... that looks like a whole new custom engine cover cut out of one big piece of billet Al!! very very nice :eek:
Yerp. :-X I'd hate to see how much that sucker costs; north of $1500 easily with that ammount of mill work.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
I should hope that it wouldn't cost nearly that much as you can get milled magnesium covers for much less than that or have your stocker milled for the venting and then anodized or ceramic coated. I'd put the finished product somewhere in the $600-$800 street value in spite of the massive amount of time that it may have taken to make that one.

Furinstance: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=8%7CEngine&productID=2796&showDetail=1&categoryID=16|Ducati%204%20Valve&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
c_rex said:
I should hope that it wouldn't cost nearly that much as you can get milled magnesium covers for much less than that or have your stocker milled for the venting and then anodized or ceramic coated. I'd put the finished product somewhere in the $600-$800 street value in spite of the massive amount of time that it may have taken to make that one.

Furinstance: http://www.motowheels.com/italian/myProducts.cfm?parentcategoryid=8%7CEngine&productID=2796&showDetail=1&categoryID=16|Ducati%204%20Valve&vendoridtodisplay=0&filterFor=&collection=168%7CEuropean%20Motorcycle%20Parts
don't think the magnesium covers are milled out from a block

·
Registered
650 Posts
hiero said:
The magnesium cover in that link is definitely cast. About the only areas I see that are machined are the slots, probably the mounting holes and most likely the faces; maybe 2% of the total machine time spent on that Al piece.

Electropolishing your stock cover probably would get you what you're looking for, but it is not cheap and depending on the quality of the cast cover could make defects in the casting stand out.

G

·
Norm said:
Crap cast aluminum. You can polish them but you'll never get the kind of shine of a billit item.
I beg to differ!

Okay, it's not quite a "billet mirror", but it's damn close (and that's with the added 'cloudiness' of a clearcoat on top of it)

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
hiero said:
ooh... roight... I was mumbling "milled" and thinking "slotted"- good eye [thumbsup] I'm with RogueMnstr on the swoops though. I'd do up my stock piece before shelling out major dollhairs for something just because it took a long time to carve it. Feel free to educate me as I've never gone down on a naked bike but billet here isn't any better than cast for protection is it? The clutch cover would take all the beating wouldn't it? Magnesium would be a better swap for unsprung weight as it's about 2/3 dense as Aluminum (depending on the alloys compared). Of course you can't make magnesium shine like aluminum but I'll bet it throws cooler sparks when it does go grindy. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
RogueMnstr said:
Cool, thanks for the replies. Sri for not including which engine: 2002 750ie. My reference point is the dull-polished look of the case covers on 60's and early 70's Ducs.
I just saw one of these bikes today very nice 72 GT

1 - 15 of 15 Posts