Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having only ever riden one bike ....... my monster 696. i am interested in knowing how other bikes (in general) behave when chopping the gas in second (sometimes third) gear ......... the monsters engine braking is severe immediately (which i an used to) ........ was wondering how other bikes compare ??. Its obvious down to the gearing right ???

·
Registered
324 Posts
I was used to riding metric four cylinder bikes before I got my Ducati. It took me a while to get used to the twin. The fours seemed to spin easier and not be as touchy on/off the gas. I think the Ducati forced me as a rider to learn how to be smooth on the throttle.

·
Super Moderator
3,916 Posts
In general, an engine with more cylinders (and the same overall displacement) will rev more quickly, and engine brake less. So (all else being equal) a 700cc twin will have more midrange torque, rev more slowly, and engine brake more than a 700cc four; and a 700cc single (thumper) will have all of those characteristics more strongly than the twin.

Note that it is not ideal to engine brake a lot; that stresses the clutch a bit. Use the brakes to slow down; that's what they're for, and brakepads are cheaper than clutchplates.

PhilB

·
Registered
149 Posts
Definitely, riding a large-displacement, high-compression twin will help you learn to be smooth with your throttle inputs.

"the monsters engine breaking..." LOL.
Engine braking...okay.
Engine breaking...we don't like that so much.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Twins definitely engine brake harder than other bikes. My S2R probably slows down about the same as my SV650 did. My VFR did it quite a bit less despite it also being a V engine. The first time I rode the VFR, I came onto a highway offramp way too hot as I was so used to the SV that letting off the throttle on the VFR seemed to hardly cause it to decelerate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts