Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to buy a lightened flywheel but I'm concerend about the longterm effect an unbalanced crankshaft will have on my engine. I ride my bike alot and I don't want to have to freshen up the engine before due time or cause premature damage. Has anyone put on alot of miles with a light flywheel, over 30,000 or so.

Thanks,
murry

·
Registered
426 Posts
The flywheel on a Ducati is a flywheel not a counterbalance. There is no effect of running a lighter flywheel. I don't mean to be picky but have you ever looked at a Ducati flywheel? They are just a weight hung on the crank they are not used to balance anything in the engine. And when balancing a Ducati engine the flywheel isn't even used. If your engine was balanced before you changed the flywheel it will be in balance after you change the flywheel.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replys, and no I haven't looked at a ducati flywheel. I didn't know that the cranks were not balanced with the flywheels bolted to them, but I do now. I just pictured a small weight attached to the flywheel to balance it.

murry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts