Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in upstate N.Y. so my bike will be stored for about 5 months (less hopefully) and have a set of FCR's to install along w/ pods and a new battery/holder and also have forks to do a SBK swap so I think I will just pull the tank and store it seperately in the basement while I complete the said mods. My question is what is the best thing to do to preserve an empty tank that will sit this long in an even and somewhat warm temperature?

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
There is no real good way to keep an empty tank from rusting. It would be better to fill it and put some Stabil in it if possible.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
howie said:
Maybe this is a good time to treat it with POR 15?
Doh....why didn't I think of that? :p

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Jedi Knight said:
I drain my tank prior to bringing my bike in my living room from the garage for the winter.

Am I running a risk of tank rust?
Yes.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
POR-15.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
And while you're at it braze the hinge so it won't leak in the future. I wouldn't POR the tank alone. That will not prevent the leaky hinge.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
Jedi Knight said:
Ok, stupid question.

What is POR-15, where do I buy it, and how do I apply it?
POR-15 is a moisture cure product. You buy a motorcycle tank kit which comes with all the necessary components. You can buy direct from www.por15.com. Follow the directions exactly. Good stuff.

Keep in mind that if your tank ever starts leaking at the hinge you will have issues.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts

·
Registered
6,266 Posts
What I do with the empty tanks I have in the garage is drop a few of those Sliica dissicant packs that usually come with electronics. They are the little packs that say "Do not eat" ;D

·
Registered
98 Posts
I would just oil the inside of the tank down. Not sure if WD-40 would be enough, I might suggest "fogging oil" from the marine industry. I use it on our boat when winterizing it. i think that would hold off rust for the winter.

Reid

·
Premium Member
813 Posts
ducpainter said:
And while you're at it braze the hinge so it won't leak in the future. I wouldn't POR the tank alone. That will not prevent the leaky hinge.
Having been a victim, I would strongly recommend brazing!

·
Registered
760 Posts
red duke said:
Having been a victim, I would strongly recommend brazing!
+1
I originally only put POR15 in my tank and didn't realize it would/could still develop a leaky hinge. A year later I had the leaky hinge (PITA) and I sent my tank to ducpainter who did an awesome job fixing the hinge and re-coating the inside with POR15. Now it's no longer an issue about rusting from the inside out...

The chrome is still "visibly" perfect and you can't even tell.

I had a great experience with Ducpainter and I have nothing but good things to say about his work and professional manor.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
ducpainter said:
POR-15 is a moisture cure product. You buy a motorcycle tank kit which comes with all the necessary components. You can buy direct from www.por15.com. Follow the directions exactly.
+1 on the followinbg the directions _exactly_. Pretty much _all_ the bad stories you hear about POR15 start with "I took a bit of a shortcut when I applied it" or "I didn't read right through the instructions and I..."

There's another product out there called Kreem which does the same sort of job, but it seems to be even more suceptible to poor results due to lack of care in the preparation and application process...

big

1 - 20 of 22 Posts