1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
what picture?

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I'm not sure why they're there, but all the motors have them & they are always empty.

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
I always assumed the were either artifacts from an old design carried over, or for manufacturing, maybe machining datums, or for a different bike (ST2, or watercooled), that need something bolted on.

mitt

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Not used on SSs either. Past threads speculated that they might be for fairing stays on some of the SSs, but don't know for sure if thats the case.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO
i don\t have to be worried aboutthat
i will ignore those holes, maybe i will find bolts to cover. [thumbsup]
thak you all

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
those are on the cylinder, not the head.

they are on all the air cooled bikes, even the older ones. best guess is machining artifacts. i've never seen them in use on Monster, SS (full or half fairing), or any of the Pantahs.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Mark1305 said:
Not used on SSs either. Past threads speculated that they might be for fairing stays on some of the SSs, but don't know for sure if thats the case.
Not true at all! On my SS they are for the lower fairing stays. No speculation needed.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
944SSie said:
Not true at all! On my SS they are for the lower fairing stays. No speculation needed.
Damn you! Bringing _facts_ in to win an arguement! ;)

big (I was just about to try and convince him it's where the DP forward controls and highway pegs mount...)

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
944SSie said:
Dohhh! What was I thinking? I used my SS for reference not even thinking about the fact it no longer had the stock style bodywork when I got it. Good catch!

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
dadr said:
please
take a picture , a picture=1000 words
+1

i'm curious.

i've heard on several occasions that these holes are fairing stays for the SS bodywork.

but i've not examined one up close.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
zarn02 said:
+1

i'm curious.

i've heard on several occasions that these holes are fairing stays for the SS bodywork.

but i've not examined one up close.

tis true, the 92 thru 97 full faired SS bikes had a black alloy bar that had rubber bumpers on the ends to support the fairings. no pic though, sorry.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
loony888 said:
tis true, the 92 thru 97 full faired SS bikes had a black alloy bar that had rubber bumpers on the ends to support the fairings. no pic though, sorry.
i stand corrected, it wasn't the mount it is those darn bumpers. i totally forgot about those.

there are mounts on a stem that attaches to the frame, but bumpers are below -- on the cylinder. You can see both here.

·
Premium Member
2,051 Posts
^Now that's a clean engine!^

I always thought the tapped holes were for manufacturing and assembly.

In other words, don't worry about them.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts