Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The right hand side rearset has spacers between the rearset and the frame/engine. I know this is to make space to mount the emissions cannister. But, is it the only reason those spacers are there?

The rearset on the left side mounts directly to the frame/engine. When removing the emissions is is OK to just remove all the spacers and mount the rearset like on the left side?

Does the right hand side rearset stick out further than the left due to those spacers? It appears that on older Monsters, without the cannister, the rearset mounts hard to the bike like on the left side.

Can I dump these spacers once I take the cannister off and mount the rearset as it is on the left side?

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
when I took my emissions off, i also removed those spacers to set the rear set in. But you have to cut about 1/2" off teh bolts that go into the bottom of the engine. I tried to avoid that as I don't like to make ir-reversible mods, but there was not good way around it. besides how much can 2 new bolts cost and how long would I have to wait (probably 6 months).

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I came up w/ 3 different routes you can take:

1. cut the emissions can cover to retain the stock spacers
2. find some material (aluminum, steel) of the same thickness, drill it out w/ a holesaw, and install. or...
3. compare the thickness of the cover's spacing to other factory spacers on the bike (both left and right sides) and order new ones from bikebandit.com

I, having a salvage bike that had engine case damage, had to make a bracket for the kickstand to transfer the weight from the front mounting bolt to 2 other bolts further back. This, combined w/ mounting a centerstand, caused some problems w/ the factory spacers. I just grabbed some scrap steel from my pile in the garage and, w/ the help of a drill press and lots of cutting oil, made my own...a quick shot of silver paint and no one is the wiser ;)

·
Registered
455 Posts
One caveat about the spacers. If you plan on installing high-mount exhaust, you will most likely need the spacers to make enough room between the swingarm and rearsets.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
actually, i put the fbf hi mounts on mine after i removed the spacers. if the exhaust wasdesigned to fit pre smog box monsters then you should be able to remove the spacers and it will still work as the that is the way the pre smog box monsters were pretty much built. i was actually very please with how clean mine ended up after all the changes. even still worked fine with my home made removable center stand.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I plan on removing the spacers. I am going to go with low mount exhaust so clearance won't be an issue. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some other reason why I needed to keep the spacers.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
One caveat about the spacers. If you plan on installing high-mount exhaust, you will most likely need the spacers to make enough room between the swingarm and rearsets.
I ditched the spacers and have hi-mounts. No problems.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hmm... that's interesting to hear Magnus, because you and I have the same pipes. I'll be pulling the cans off tonight so that I don't mess them up in the process of chopping my tail (Woot!), so maybe I'll see if I can fit them up without the spacers. When I originally put them on, I actually had to add spacers to the left side! Maybe I just didn't try hard enough.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wait a second Magnus, I just noticed that you have CC solo rearsets, so your experience doesn't really relate to me and my ugly stock rearsets.

--- Edit ---

Oops! I should have appended this to my post above! Don't hate me all you forum vigilantes! ;D

G

·
hrm i never thought of this. When i yanked the emissions I found some washers the same thickness as the bracket and popped em on. This is probably one reason the high pipes clear better on the right side.

oh well. Just get some washers from Homodepot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts