Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whew, I lived to tell the tale!! and I avoided the collision!!!

My husband and I were coming home from a ride, on the 4 lane interstate, we were booking along about 70-80, like evreyone else, he was in front of me.

When all of a sudden we see brake lights and the car in front of us does the fishtail thing, I grabbed both brakes, but felt I could not get stopped in time to avoid the car( my husband seemed to have it under control) at that point I grabbed too much back brake and locked her up, fishtailing and smoking to beat the band, I eased up a little, got her under control and snuck in between the cars.

As things calmed down, I looked in my rearview for Steve and I could only see cars and smoke!! I thought Sh!t, he didn't make it , but then I saw him ease out and lane split up to me!!!

Soooo, we avoided it , saved it , and enjoyed talking about it, or we were just lucky!!!! Maybe a little luck and skill combined!! ;D

S

·
0 Posts
luck, skill and INSTINCT! being a veteran rider, you kept your head cool (despite a certain amount of ass-clentching i'm sure!).
good story and great to hear you both got through unharmed!

H

·
0 Posts
Now go out and buy yourself a nice, pretty pair of shorts, to replace the ones you crapped in today! ;) Glad you made it, Deb.

P.S. Did you flatspot your tire?

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tire seems fine, but will do a better check tommorrow. I need new ones anyway, soon.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He took it well, he had a real bad rear lock up on his HD a few years ago, I was behind him, I thought for sure he was going to loose it, but he didn't he saved it.

We ride together all the time and have seen our share of close calls on the road with each other. We have been quite lucky and have never seen each other go down.

"God be with us, keep us safe" thats my riding prayer I say as we go along our merry way.

We love to ride and we love to ride together, so we sort of shake those close calls off fairly easily. If we let them get to us, we would never go out again. We feel we are safe and defensive riders and we watch out for things, the way the MSF teaches you to do, and we still have lots of fun!!

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
It's good to practice panic stops once in a while just to get the feel for maximum braking while in control.

I think a full stop from 70 mph pumps up my adrenaline better than just about anything else, even when it was planned and in a safe environment.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was applying the front brake, but I was to the point where I thought if I applied more, it could cause the front to lock up or something , can you lock the front wheel up, or I'd be flying out over the bars???

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
it's always good to hear about an accident that didn't happen. glad you both are safe and sound [smiley=waytogo.gif] [smiley=waytogo.gif] [smiley=waytogo.gif] [smiley=waytogo.gif] [smiley=waytogo.gif]

O

·
0 Posts
WOW intense.... So glad to hear you were able to think through that and quickly... Today as I was going out to get dinner in my car and this guy, his dog and is wife, gf sister whatever was at the cross walk... guy waiting for the right time to cross... (he was in motorwheelchair) finally got a chance to cross and out of no where comes this car screaming down the road not even noticing the guy and his dog.... All I can think is this dude is gonna die right in front of me, and his poor doggie... *ucking dude in the cage locks the breaks and Bearly missed the guy by going around him.... sad part it was to crappy cars racing, not even clasified as sports anything.. still has me freaked thinking about it...

·
Registered
445 Posts
Good job to both of ya'!! Those kind of things are crap shoot, even with all the skill in the world. Sounds like both of you did it right.

Splitting between the cars sounds like the right decision given the circumstances.

How much front brake you can use depends on a lot of stuff. Road condition, tires, how hard the brake is applied initially, lean angle and probably a few other items I'm missing. At the limit the rear will come off the ground or you will hear the front tire begin to howl. What most people do, and what you avoided, is to apply too much ("grab" the lever) and lock up the front immediately. As long as the initial grab doesn't unsettle the bike too much then you can use a suprising amount! Nelson is right about practicing max brake power stops. None of us probably practice it enough unless you spend a lot of time on a track.

·
Premium Member
1,881 Posts
SoCalSar is right. About locking the front up, apply enough pressure and either the rear will come up (a stoppie) or the front will lock up and try to wash out from under you. If you've never done either you're lucky. They're both bloody frightening, a front lock more dangerous since it tends to lead to losing the bike. I've only done it at low speeds and it still sucked. Stoppies make you look kind of cooler I guess but feeling the bike start to rotate about the front tire is unsettling.

R

·
0 Posts
MY normal driving defense is to find the 3 foot opening to escape thru. Once your heavy on the binders, you lose many of your options. Not to mention a motorcucle stops faster then a car. Who knows what the idiot behind you on the cell phone eating donuts spanking the kids guy is paying attention to. Nother worse then make the emergency stop only to get creamed from behind. Your usuallyb better off Luke Skywalkering thru the Death Star then stopping.
Nice going Deb....

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Glad to hear you guys came through unscathed, that's a scary episode.
I did the same maneuver a couple months back upon discovering a car stopped in the middle of a blind corner. I ended up stopping about even with the driver's door, on the center line. Glad nobody was coming the other way.
I've done a similar thing in my car, using the emergency lane to give me more room to stop, get me out of the impact zone, and giving the guy behind me an extra carlength for his stop.
Skill, a cool head, and luck are a nice combination.

Practicing panic stops is certainly a good thing. It would probably be most effective to do it with some sort of mock barrier, and try to stop hard and keep from hitting the barrier. Basically simulate trying to stop before hitting the back of a car. It's got to be really hard to maintain the brakes right on the edge of locking while the rear end of a car gets bigger and bigger in your view... :eek:

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thats the first time I had to come down hard on the Monster, I've done it a couple times on the HD.
As I was passing by Steve, even with all the thoughts of the rear lock-up and avoiding a collision, I thought to myself, I have brembo brakes on this thing I should have gotten stopped????
But also I was thinking, they are so good I'll be flying out over the bars or doing a high side.
All this in a matter of... what... about 2-3 seconds!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts