Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 1200S now for about half a year and haven't played that much with the electronic riding controls much.
As it has been a while that I owned a bike, I wanted to play it safe and get to know the bike a bit better before starting to test them out.
At the moment it's too cold to ride and sitting on the bike in the garage I was playing around with the menu and got curious what each control can do so I was wondering if you could share your settings and experiences with all of them.

·
Registered
474 Posts
It's a monster 821... probably the same abs programming....when it kicks in...abs 1... the rear is still on the ground...but just barely..it will sway a bit if your not centered...it's just barely locking up the front...don't lean...let up to turn...the rear brake is not automatically engaging as it will in 2,3...you have time to think..maybe next time I'll try to develop a feel for it's engagement...but it's comforting just squeezing and having time to estimate how much it's going to cost if you don't turn...lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
The rule I live by on the street is don’t go railing through a corner until you can see the exit OR you know the road well enough. Even then...expect the unexpected. I ride hard on the streets too (probably a little too hard at times) - blowing a corner like that can be disastrous. As far as the electronic nannies go, when it warms up, give them a try in each mode and you’ll see what they’re doing. They’re nice to have but truthfully I keep mine on minimum intervention and just ride within my abilities.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I think you, I mean he (wink wink) just needed to keep turning and stay off the brakes there.
But cameras do change the perception of angles though.
Interesting what you can infer from video of the front wheel and fork.
Fork bottomed. Eek. I think QLD is right.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As far as the electronic nannies go, when it warms up, give them a try in each mode and you’ll see what they’re doing. They’re nice to have but truthfully I keep mine on minimum intervention and just ride within my abilities.
Will do just that,... now let's skip winter please,...:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the 1200S now for about half a year and haven't played that much with the electronic riding controls much.
As it has been a while that I owned a bike, I wanted to play it safe and get to know the bike a bit better before starting to test them out.
At the moment it's too cold to ride and sitting on the bike in the garage I was playing around with the menu and got curious what each control can do so I was wondering if you could share your settings and experiences with all of them.
Which specific settings? There are a few.Riding modes? Sensitivity within each setting ranges?

I have had my 2017, 1200S for 4 years now, 14k miles. My favorite bike in my garage of 2!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Ducatimurf,
Yes, that was what I ment,...for instance wheely control, or traction control. how sensitive is it.Guess best way is to play with it and test it out but all information from others is always handy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Coming from a 650cc parallel-twin bike, I found the torque delivery on my Monster 821 (2018 model) to be a bit too aggressive for the local road conditions. Using the full power was quite tempting but not at the expense of safety.
I made these changes to the settings in each of the power modes

ABS left at level 3 while in default was at level 1

Traction control if I remember was around 2 or lower in default and rear was quite lively even in 3rd gear. Moved that over to 8 and now pretty stable

Power was left at level 3, the highest in sport.
In Touring, the only change is power is reduced to Medium while other settings remain the same.

Keeps the bike from stepping out in those quick overtakes and if something unexpected comes around the bends, the ABS remains at max for stopping. Sadly, the 2018 model does not have an IMU and that would also have helped.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks SidMonster821,... that is helpful !!
Anytime (y)

BTW, this is my take as the highways here are not safe for any speed runs.
Also, the tires may affect the ride. I had the stock Rosso IIIs which took quite some time to get to temperature (early morning rides) and if the roads are not great, often lose traction.
You can take time to gradually build confidence at a local track and see how much of the power can be unleashed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts