Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to find alternatives to the factory tinted visors you can buy for your helmet. Why? Because the one available for mine (Element Fastrack by O'neill w Stereo BT integrated) has only two other versions that have very very light smoke or grey tint. So I found out that you cant use car window tint on plastic visors and after reading moto magazine's reviews on Fog City's and Pro Grip's "photochromatic" visor inserts I ventured on.....

And so I ran into this article: http://optics.org/cws/article/research/18182

Really really cool stuff.... I've always thought about that system, eever since I first saw the Blade Runner movie a long time ago, except for house windows.
This is pretty amazing if they actually get to develope it in a practical way just like cars have light sensors for ambint light and rearview mirrors if bikes could have one that was hooked up to a wireless transmiter that could let the helmet know how much voltage or shading is needed.... Could be in helmets that have a receiver (just like BT now, but aside of it) integrated; not that they will be common day to day but premium items just like nowadays having communication with helmets is premium... Or more likely an integrated non obtrusive sensor on the front of the helmet hooked up to a small battery, a voltage regulator and the visor, relatively cheap to add without modifying too much, small, small current draw, very practical, very safe.... I def. see this one coming soon....* (Great enterpreneurial opportunity here, cheap with lots of returns.....)

What do you guys think? Also any advice on making the Oneill Fastrack Dark Visor even darker??? I like the photochromatic solution except id probably scratch it on my first trip out.....

* 8) In desperate need of some shade.... 8)

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just got my Element and was wondering the same thing. I ordered the chrome shield and I hope it is darker than the dark tint, which from what I read, is barely tinted.

I am thinking of using the Pinlock system on the clear shield and see if that will work. In Europe they sell a universal kit and template to drill for the pins on any helmet. From what I gather, the template will fit nicely inside the Element. I found a seller on ebay.eu.

Overall I am impressed with the helmet. Sound is pretty good, about as good as a standard set of earphones. Good quality and build.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts