Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refer to this thread to see where this all started:

http://www.ducatimonster.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=NEMHA;action=display;num=1066011975

But to make a long story short, my bike would not start after riding it in the pouring rain last Sunday. It left me stranded for a while. In the meantime, only the oil pressure and Neutral lights worked on the instrument gauge cluster. The needle sweep and backlights, as well as "star" would not function.
After a complete stranger took me in and let me use his garage and fans and heaters to dry the bike out, it finally started after a torturous 8 hours.
I just got the bike back today from the dealer. They are replacing (on order now) the gauge cluster. The gauges were displaying 88888 instead of regular odo. readings/time, etc. A lot of condensation (which was a problem I addressed when the bike was 2 weeks old as well) seemed to reside under the gauge glass.
Additionally, they suspect that a small amount of water may have gotten in to my engine by way of the little view circle window. Not much, but enough to warrant an oil change. Also, they literally emptied water from some wire connectors, primarily the ones behind the headlight and underneath the tank. They said they were filled with water-you know-the female to male connectors you find all over this bike. They cleaned them all out and repacked them with grease.
I must say that I'm a little disillusioned by the wiring/water repellant (or lack thereof) characteristics of this bike.
If anyone else has water/electrical issues I'd really like to know about it. Granted I was riding in a torrent at times, but hey...what's a Hooligan to do but ride anyhow 8)

·
Premium Member
1,488 Posts
I've ridden my Monster in the rain more than a few times without a problem. I've even had to pull over a couple of times because it was raining hard enough to kill visibility. Other than being wet and cold I've never had a problem with the bike in the rain. In fact, I live in the city without a garage, so my bike gets rained on anytime it comes down. Sounds like you may have had some bad luck...

G

·
my monster lives in the garage, but its been in hard rain several times. no problems.
is there a problem with the water proofing of the guages?
seems to be almost common with the new style cluster.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts