Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question - keep blowing the fuse on the turn signals. not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Details: switched to LED signals then decided to go with the stock ones. these are the rear signals. Made a bracket to attach the rear signals back onto the bike.

Rear signals have 2 wires: 1 grey, 1 white. Is the Grey the ground?

Rear light Harness has 3 pairs of wires... (M750 2000 model)

1st pair: yellow/black (black = ground)
2nd pair: black/white-green (black = ground)
3rd pair: black/white-green (black = ground)

the 2nd & 3rd pair are for the signals. I had it hooked up this way...

Turn signal grey wire ----> black wire on the 2nd pair (and 3rd pair)
Turn signal white wire ---> white-green wire on the 2nd pair (and 3rd pair)

is this correct? the fuse keeps burning out on me.

·
Banned
3,931 Posts
On my turn signals, it doesn't matter which color wire goes where, since the current is just going through one wire, through the bulb, and back out the other wire. The bulb doesn't care which direction the current flows.

I would unplug all of the turn signals, then see if it's still shorting. If it is, you know it's elsewhere in the wiring. If it doesn't blow the fuse, plug the signals back in one at a time until the fuse blows, then you know which one is causing the problem.

The wiring is different on my 97, so I can't help you on wire colors. The owners manual should have a wiring diagram in it, though.

You might have to settle for hand signals for a while. Just make sure whoever is behind you has good signals and is quick to interpret your hand signals. 8)

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
o.k. Daffe, let's try:

w/g is rt turn signal
w/bk is left turn signal
y is tail light and license plate light
g/r is stop light
bk is ga common ground for the whole 9 yds

as Scott said, reversing the signal light would not blow the fuse. if you want to find the proper wires on signal light, take an ohmeter, one probe on the base, with the other probe, try each terminal. continuity is ground

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
figured out the problem...

thanks for all the help! I noticed that the fuse blew no matter how it was hooked up - i tried it w/o the lights hooked up - fuse blew so figured that it was the bracket contacting both tabs of the brake light. i relocated the bracket away from the tabs and wrapped it in electrical tape just to be sure. works fine now!

thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Could be the after market turn lights or a wrong connection that burn out the electroning control system CPU?

I have a M620sie Y02, for about 4,5 years.

Lazaros

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
howie said:
as Scott said, reversing the signal light would not blow the fuse. if you want to find the proper wires on signal light, take an ohmeter, one probe on the base, with the other probe, try each terminal. continuity is ground
Actually, that's only for some turn signals. I have installed a number of indicators which tied one of the leads to the metal mounting post. If the (+) signal goes to that wire, it WILL pop fuses. That's likely Daffe's problem. The only way to know for sure is to remove the bulb from indicator and ohm each lead to the metal mounting tab. Ducati OEM indicators often are insulated (made of plastic), so yes polarity then doesn't matter.

;D

·
Registered
829 Posts
Threadjackwarning:

I've been wanting to wire a switch to connect both left and right turn signals so they operate as warning/parking lights, flashing all four.
The 03 M800S has the blinker circuitry inside the sealed instrument panel.
The thing that keeps me from wasting my time on this project is the fear that the extra current from the four active lamps might damage the panel circuitry.

Anybody been a guinea pig on this?

R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts