Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my bike in to the shop over a month ago. The bike was hesitating and even backfiring, ran kind like it was running on one cylinder. Got the bike to the shop and the mechanic looked over the bike and thought the problem was a wiring harness in the ignition system. After waiting three weeks for the part to come in the mechanic changed the wiring harness but the problem is still there. So, he now thinks it is a throttle position sensor that is bad. So now I guess it's going to be another 2-3 weeks to get that part.
Anyone have similar electrical problems? Any things the mechanic can look into that my fail routinely?
Thanks in advance
RJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
howie,
Before I took it to the dealer I checked for loose wires, cables and checked the plugs. Everything seemed to be OK. The mechanic says he is getting diagnostic error codes indicating an electrical problem, he also checked for continuity and he thought the wiring harness in the ignition system was bad. I guess he is using some type of diagnostic tool to get error codes. At this point I am going to try to get DNA involved and maybe get someone over there who can diagnose the problem and get it fixed. Yep, waiting 2-3 weeks for each part the mechanic wants to replace is going to take forever.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well someone from DNA looked at the bike and they are coming back in a few days with some other test equipment to try and sort out the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aren't computers fun? ;)
When they work...

Electrical problems are hard enough to deal with, intermittant problems, which is what it sounds like you have, can be a real prick. Sometimes, since the problem isn't always present, you have to resort to such clueless measures as swapping random parts. luckily, there aren't that many parts on a motorcycle to deal with, so they'll get it. Eventually...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
" luckily, there aren't that many parts on a motorcycle to deal with, so they'll get it. Eventually... "

Lets see 14 parts at two weeks per part, 28 weeks or 6-7 months. Great just in time for the summer riding season.
Thanks Herb. :p

Hopefully It will not take that long since someone from DNA is now involved.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sure hope for your sanity sake that it does't take that long! I really don't think you've got that many parts in the equation, though. The DNA guys should be able to pinpoint the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the guy from DNA took a look at the bike. He believes it is a throttle position sensor. Problem now is that the sensor is "unavailble". Unavailable means not in stock in the USA :(
The guy from DNA is going to try a locate one somewhere otherwise it is going to be a long wait from Italy.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Well, the guy from DNA took a look at the bike. He believes it is a throttle position sensor. Problem now is that the sensor is "unavailble". Unavailable means not in stock in the USA :(
The guy from DNA is going to try a locate one somewhere otherwise it is going to be a long wait from Italy.
I don't want to scare you but the radiator on my S4 was unavailable for 4 and 1/2 months. Nowadays I'm sure that a TPS is available in greater numbers than a radiator, but I lost my mind waiting.
GT

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
okay call me silly but unless there are no parts in italy doesnt fedex fly to europe? How difficult would it be to pop a part in a box and ship it over? I can understand not stockpiling a ton of parts here when the factory is not here but come on.

You would think DNA would want to earn a few karma points for doing things right towards their customers.

·
Registered
400 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Now if DNA could provide the same level of service...
don't forget that sh!t rolls down hill. if ducati SpA provides crummy service to DNA, how is DNA to provide good service to the dealer? and if the dealer doesn't get good service, how are they supposed to help you?

that's why there are some dealers with thousands of parts on their shelves, like they were some kind of intermediate distribution center. that's not right it wasn't DNA's decision to no longer produce the flat sided fairing panels for the 91~96 900ss, etc etc etc.

i think we will start seeing improvement with the oracle stuff in that DNA can start applying inventory process to their parts supply and purchasing. i doubt anyone analyzed trends before.

:) chris

·
Registered
400 Posts
don't forget that sh!t rolls down hill. if ducati SpA provides crummy service to DNA, how is DNA to provide good service to the dealer? and if the dealer doesn't get good service, how are they supposed to help you?

that's why there are some dealers with thousands of parts on their shelves, like they were some kind of intermediate distribution center. that's not right it wasn't DNA's decision to no longer produce the flat sided fairing panels for the 91~96 900ss, etc etc etc.

i think we will start seeing improvement with the oracle stuff in that DNA can start applying inventory process to their parts supply and purchasing. i doubt anyone analyzed trends before.

:) chris
You're right. I should have said "Now if SpA could provide the same level of service..." Then it would be up to DNA to pick up the ball and run with it.

SpA's decision to quit producing the fairing panels for the 91-96ss could be an indication of their dedication to the consumer but I doubt it. More than likely it's an economic decision. Ducati is not anywhere near as big as H0nda and so resources are limited which in turn causes them to make a decision which, while unpopular with us, is paramount to the health of the company.

On the other hand, Ducati has done such things as using the same oil filter for all models since the late 80's. And the same valve shims for all 2v engines, likewise for the 4v engines. The same air filter for several different ranges for 10 plus years. Very, very few other manufacturers do anything like this. To me this is sound economics and dedication in keeping the older bikes on the road.

Things are better now with SpA and DNA than they were 10 years ago and we will probably see improvements over the coming years. Except for the month of August of course. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I do not really expect DNA to have a huge stock pile of parts sitting in some warehouse in Kansas. Since not a single Duc is made here there is no reason to have large parts supplies here. It makes more sense to have your parts inventory near your factory so you can keep making bikes.

Now given you have your inventory in Italy and demand in the US what is the best way to satisify both demands? Well putting parts on a container ship and letting it float along at a leisurely pace probably isn't the best answer.

As an example, I ordered from a very nice fellow in Russia who ebays 99% of his electronic products. Mostly Russian Army surplus caps, resistors and tubes. I lost the auction but sent him an email asking if he had anymore of them. He did and sold them to me at my bid price, (NOT THE TOP BID! wow!) and I paid via paypal. I fully expected for the parts to take weeks. I had then in 9 days. It took 9 days only because it got stuck in customs for 4-5.

If some poor schmuck in Moscow can get it hear why cant Ducati?

I wanted to order the Ducati Corsa tank protector but it was coming from Italy, had a eta of 2-3 WEEKS and shipping was more than the protector. Obviously something is wrong here.

·
Registered
45,105 Posts
RJ, i would consider calling all the major dealers and seeing if anyone has one in stock. Seatle and BCM would be good dealers to start with. DNA should do better for you, but if they don't, and you want to ride, it's up to you.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
well I do not really expect DNA to have a huge stock pile of parts sitting in some warehouse in Kansas. Since not a single Duc is made here there is no reason to have large parts supplies here. It makes more sense to have your parts inventory near your factory so you can keep making bikes.

Now given you have your inventory in Italy and demand in the US what is the best way to satisify both demands? Well putting parts on a container ship and letting it float along at a leisurely pace probably isn't the best answer.

As an example, I ordered from a very nice fellow in Russia ... and I paid via paypal. I fully expected for the parts to take weeks. I had then in 9 days.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, it actually kinda sad. The monster is a great looking bike, a great sounding bike, and a great riding bike. But if you need it to commute you may be off it for months waiting for a part. Unfortunately when making a purchasing decision one should absolutely consider the down time.
BTW I got the same line from DNA and the dealer "the Ducati is like a Ferrari and sometimes needs special car and parts..." That is a BS cop out. Thats the legendary reason Lamborghini stated his car company because his Ferrari had problems. He wanted to make a reliable sports car.
Sheesh!! All this down time makes one kinda ponder the Buell. Yes, its going to break, and the dealers don't care but at least the parts are in the US.
Sorry for the rant. It's just frustrating.
Also, thank you to the board and everyone's replies. It helps me keep me grounded.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts