Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of fitting a '95 900ss engine into my '98 M750. Most everything is in place, but I've got some electrical issues, everything hooks up fine except for two things. First. The M750 engine has three yellow wires comming from the alternator to the regulator, and the ss900 only has two. I'm guessing that I can't just pick my favorite two of the three on the M750 regulator and hook them up to the ss900 alternator. So, can I mount the m750 alternator into the ss900 engine or should I get an ss900 regulator to match the ss900 alternator, and would that even work with the rest of the m750 wiring? If anyone has a wiring diagram for the '98 M750, I'd like to get a copy of it. Second. On the right side of the engine, above the swing arm pivot there is a sensor of some sort, Oil temp maybe? Any one know what it is? There is a black wire and a red wire comming from here on the ss900 engine, on the m750 engine, there is a green/yellow wire and a red/white wire. Is the black equivelent to the green/yellow and the red equivelent to the red/white, or is it vice versa? Thanks in advance, and the 750 exhaust doesn't fit, so if any one has a ss900 stock header pipe, I'll need one of those too.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
JJB, I can't address most of your questions, but on the alternator, it sounds like the '95 has a single phase unit while the '98 is a three phase one. If the '98 alternator will physically fit on the '95 engine, that might be the way to go. I'm not sure you could use the regulator from a '95 bike on the newer system. My $.02. I'm sure some of the sharp folks on here will have some more (better?) info. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Technically, you should be able to plug two yellow wires into the 3 phase regulator and get some voltage out of it. Thing is, we won't know how long the regulator will last like this.

The best thing to do is buy "Ducati updated" regulator WITHOUT the adaptor harness, then make your own connectors to hook everything up. There is yellow wires as input from alternator and then there's ground out (black) and +12V out (red).

Definitions:
1p = 1 phase, or single phase
3p = 3 phase

3p alternator will not readily fit on 1p bike. This is mostly because the rotor and stator are reversed. On 1p bikes, the rotor spins inside the windings and on 3p bike the rotor spins outside the windings. To actually pull this off, you would need to purchase the crankshaft from 68mm 3 phase bike, like the 900SS/FE, 900ssie, M900ie, etc, and then fit it to the bike, install nichols 3p flywheel for carbureted bikes, and then bolt ALL of the stuff onto the left side of the `95 motor from the `98 motor. And even then, it might not work. So I pretty much say that 3p alternator won't work on 1p bike.

;D chris

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
OK, this is a mild rant, but I would appreciate if you would have mentioned that you cross posted to the speedzilla forum... or at least mention here that your quesitons were already answered there.

BTW, sorry, I didn't even notice the neutral light question. Polarity does not matter.

Chris

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Hi JJB,

I agree on the "who is where" issue. What's real bad is when somone e-mails me using their real name then I come here and see the same text and recall answering the question, but can't link the real person to the "fake" one online. That's partly why I try to use my real name on the BBSs or at least put it in the signature.

Getting single phase alternator is the good option. Most bestest option is the "Ducati Updated" regulator. Those have proven to me to be the most reliable parts available. ;D

:) Chris

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chris, so the Ducati Updated regulator will work no problem with the '95 single phase alternator? Does it only have two yellow wires or is it three and if it does have three, which ones do I use? Thanks, -Jesse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts