Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I bought a damaged US import 1999 monster M750 on Monday. I got it very very cheaply, and I plan to race it in BEARS (British, European, American Racing Series) and in F3 (production 250 2 strokes, 400 fours, 650 water cooled twins, and 750 aircooled 2 valve carburetted twins). The idea is that I get two race bikes for the price of one!

Its a bit of a long story, but basically two guys imported a few Ducati's intending to fix them and sell them on. One of them started selling off parts without telling the other one, and then dissapeared, leaving one guy with a bunch of Ducati's with expensive parts missing! His loss is my gain though, because I got this bike very very cheap, despite it only having 8,750 miles on the clock.

There is a catch though. My M750 is missing its ECU and coils. I'm having a bit of trouble locating anything locally, and it has been suggested that the ECU and coils are the same for all carburetted 2 valve Ducati's from around this era. So my question is- is this correct? If I found the ECU and coils from say a carburetted 900SS, will they work? My only concern is that in theory a 750 should have a higher redline, so with a 900SS ECU the rev limited might kick in too early.

Any thoughts on this will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Everything I've heard is that the carby Monster ignitions don't have a rev limiter.

There *is* an advance curve built into the ignition unit, dunno if the 900 and 750 are different.

I'm pretty sure CaCycleworks has coils that will work, and I think there are DP ignition units as well.

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
The coils & ignition modules will work on your 750, but if you're planning on using hi-comp pistons, go with the 1.1 modules.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ahh, so no ECU. Ooops, my bad- I was told it needed an ECU when I bought it. So it's coils and ignitors then, that explains the response I got from EuroBrit in Oz.

Thanks for your help guys. Shouldn't be too hard to track down some 900SS parts here. I'll check out the Dyna coils too.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Righto, I've got the coils and ignitors now. Cost NZ$400 [thumbsup] I also have a copy of the salvage papers from the US and I can definitely say that my M750 is a Californian model.
I've been really busy getting another race bike ready for a street race, now thats all done and dusted I finally have a chance to look at the Monster again, and plugging everything in seems straight forward, but before I risk frying the coils etc, I thought it prudent to ask if I've done it right. I'm hoping I can get some pointers, as I've hardly ever seen one of these things on the road, let alone in bits! Yes I will be getting a manual...

Firstly, as you look from the rear towards the front of the bike, it LOOKS like the the right coil is for the rear cylinder, and the left coil is for the front cylinder. Is that correct? Also, I'm assuming that the white two pronged connectors go as in the pic below?(Hyperlinks inserted incase the images are too big to show on this forum)
http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Images/Ducati Monster Stuff/coil connetion.JPG

Next, the two prong black female wiring connector on the coils- does that connet to the male connector on the RHS of the bike near the carbs?
http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Images/Ducati Monster Stuff/coils go here.JPG

There is a multi wire connector attached to the RHS of the frame roughly under the seat- that'd be for the tail lights and indicators, right? I haven't got them so I need to check. Also, the two prong female connector- is that for the fuel warning light sensor on the tank? See pic below again
http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Images/Ducati Monster Stuff/fuel and tail lights.JPG

The only weird thing is the earth connection to the battery. All I have is a black wire that is tied to the frame under the battery holder. Is there something missing? Seems like there is...
http://www.motoequip.co.nz/Images/Ducati Monster Stuff/earth lead.JPG

Any help you can give will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
White w 2 cables ignition connection to front, you are right.
Pic 2-3 right again.
Pic 4 earth is connected under the tab of the frame where the airbox is fastened LH side.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for your help! So I guess all I need to do is make an earth lead to go from the battery to where the earth lead pictured connects to the frame.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
8,324 Posts
TonyB said:
Thanks for your help! So I guess all I need to do is make an earth lead to go from the battery to where the earth lead pictured connects to the frame.

Thanks again.
My 96 M900 has a ground strap from the engine case to the frame on the RH side of the bike. I know they eliminated it on later model FI SS models, so I'm not positive it's necessary, but I think it's a good idea. Those igniter boxes are very fragile both physically and electrically.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Monster lives! I made an earth lead for the battery, cleaned out the tank as well as I could- it was pretty bad so I put a filter in the line. Put some petrol in the tank... and then scratched my head for a bit because the fuel wasn't getting to the carbs. Are either of the two gizmo's between the tank and the carbs some form of fuel pump? Maybe working on vacuum or something? Must've been an air lock if they're not, because after a while it turned up in the float bowls. A few more stabs of the button and away she went!

I think it's running a bit rough, but then I guess thats to be expected when it hasn't run in at least 6 months. To be honest I'm not exactly sure what it should sound like around idle and at small throttle openings :-[ - I've haven't had any experience with V or L twins. I haven't ridden it yet, as the hydraulic clutch needs some fluid and a good bleed. The chain is corroded and stiff as, so it really needs to be replaced, but it has been suggested that I should lube it up and do a track session to check the gearing before I fork out any cash for a new one. Makes sense, so I'll soak it in diesel and see if it loosens up enough to do some laps.

Anyway, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Are either of the two gizmo's between the tank and the carbs some form of fuel pump? Maybe working on vacuum or something?
Yes. You have a vacuumoperated fuelpump.
Guess your carbs could use a good cleaning & also check all rubber hoses to cure the roughnesss.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts