Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of you have bought your bikes on ebay, and will do so in the future along with other items. Just a fair warning. I was almost taken today. If it is too good to be true it is. I responded to a listing for a 999 Super for only $5000 canadien. I assumed that I am the luckiest guy ever and he is the dumbest seller ever, really naiive and desperate for money. Naturally, I am the moron for thinking such a thing, but I put a bid and emailed the seller anyway. Who the hell knows, it could have been a take over or foreclosure on something, maybe an inheritance...anyway....A couple hours later I got an email from ebay telling me that this item was cancelled and the account was compromised, which of course had wonderful feedback. So if you are as gullible as I am and think that you can get that lucky to buy a 2001 Ducati Superbike 999 with 4400 miles on it for a little less than 4000 dollars US, then watch out. Incidentally, I had another item on "watch" which was also a scam. So that makes two in one day. In closing...IF IT IS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE YOU DAMN WELL BETTER BET IT IS!!! Remember I am not only warning you about being a gullible fool, I am also the president!

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
You must not have been reading the posts on this board for a long time. That scam comes up monthly.

Good thing Ebay caught it for you before you lost your money.

mitt

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Some good deals are true tho, someone on the board bought a nice Monster for a real good price off ebay a while back.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Best to buy somewhere you can go take a look at it, or have a friend take a look at it, run VIN #'s, etc... :-/ I have only bought small items off ebay, so far so good!

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I guess I didnt see the posts on this board. I also bought one of my bikes from Ebay, gret price, great bike, great deal. I guess this one was jsut WAY TOO GOOD. I generally look at local bikes anyway...this way I pay in person and get to see the bike and ride it first.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
ebay's a wonderful tool, just make sure to see the bike in person before you go through with it. that would solve 99% of the problems people have with the service

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Some good deals are true tho, someone on the board bought a nice Monster for a real good price off ebay a while back.
That true too,but i work to hard for my money.
and i would not buy a motorcycle without seeing it first.
That just my personnel choice,but sure you can get some deals.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
You can fly out and buy it. I did this with two bikes I bought off Ebay. I rode one across Florida to Key West before shipping it home.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Ya, I bought a bike off ebay, but only because I was able to go over and pick it up in person.

Ebay scams are rampant. There is almost no way to stop it, because the perpetrators are basically anonymous. I think this comes up on Ebay more like 5x a week than monthly (all kinds of expensive items are sold this way, not just 999s).

Ebay likes to play down the danger because they know they cant stop it, and if people find out, they will not trust ebay as much.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got a bridge in Arizona I would like to sell you all. You could go in on a group buy ;D I would be willing to take a cash wire transfer via western union to my off shore account to make it even easier for you. ;) ;) ;)

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Wow! Is that the London Bridge? If so, I'm in...

·
Registered
5 Posts
give it to you at a great price if you click on the buy now symbol below

buy now sucker

·
Registered
856 Posts
I thought he was an honest guy with a good story. He worked for the Nigerian government and needed to move a lot of money out of his country but customs was giving him a hard time.

He emailed me and I gave him all my bank account info, credit card numbers and SS # just incase he needed help finding me, because he was going to deliver my $100,000 personally...

Son of a gun never showed up...I'm really really upset and I think I might have been taken for a ride.

Should I worry?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Consider yourself sued sucker ;D.

By the way, you still interested in that bridge I have in Arizona? Its a great price but I need to sell it quick because my rich Nigerian cousin is having problems entering the country to give dcmonster his 100,000$. Just PM me your account numbers and ssn, I will only take the exact amount I promise... ;D ;D ;D

This is just a joke in case the FBI is watching :-/

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Thats funny you mention the 2001 999 thing. A hallmark of scam auctions is that the seller is stupid. Looks for things like bad grammer, and lack of knowledge about the product. I have seen a lot of auctions for things like a 2002 999. When I emailed them about the year/model discrepancy, they were like 'um... it was made special?'

1 - 20 of 20 Posts