Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm in need of some advice. Have had a Monster 696 for nearly 2 years now, absolutely love it, other than having to fuss around for the 10-15 minute fast idle in the mornings. That all said, my question pertains to: I'm starting a new position soon with a required 5:30AM in-office time (I'll need to leave my place at 5AM every morning). My current position has me leaving my place at 7AM. My only option to commute is my 696 which even with baffles in is extremely loud. So my question is how do you all who commute on bikes to work and leave early in the AM cope with waking up/disturbing neighbors in the mornings? Any advice for me?

Some other things to do note:
  • I live in a townhouse, but share a common back driveway with 8 other townhomes
  • I rent my townhouse so I am afraid to cause an issue with neighbors complaining to our landlord.
  • I'm worried ultimately about pissing off neighbors at 5AM 5 days a weeks, 7 has always felt within acceptable morning hours to do.
  • I'm ultimately worried about startling/waking neighbors up at 5AM
  • I've tested starting the bike outside of the driveaway on the street but it's still loud for any neighbors nearby.
  • With the 696 you can't just start and go, I literally have to sit there for a good 10 time minutes and manually fiddle with the fast idle lever or it will stall out.
Thank you in advance.

·
Premium Member
631 Posts
Damn, that's a tough one because you care about your neighbors. I hate my neighbors so ... Other than walking your bike out as far away from neighbors' windows, and turning the exhaust outlets away from those windows, not sure what else you can do. I would look into noise statutes to make sure you're not at risk, and wouldn't seek any kind of permission or forgiveness in case there are statutes that they could use against you. Good luck

Reactions: AJZ

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Damn, that's a tough one because you care about your neighbors. I hate my neighbors so ... Other than walking your bike out as far away from neighbors' windows, and turning the exhaust outlets away from those windows, not sure what else you can do. I would look into noise statutes to make sure you're not at risk, and wouldn't seek any kind of permission or forgiveness in case there are statutes that they could use against you. Good luck
Exactly, genuinely like my neighbors so it feels like a lose-lose situation. So I can walk my bike away from my current driveway but here's the deal my neighborhood is a planned community so any street I start the bike on is within 10 feet or multiple homes/windows. I checked and my city statutes state 10pm-7am there shouldn't be any louder than more noises (the Ducati I'm sure will break the decimal range).

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
1) put your stock exhaust back on
2) make your bike run well enough so you can get on it and go immediately.
Even my old carby will start up and go. My Monster, no problem at all. Let’s talk about what’s wrong with your bike that you can’t just get on it and go, that’s the real issue.

·
Registered
235 Posts
10 to 15 minutes warm up?? My neighbours would throw rocks at me, even at midday.
Why can't you just leave the fast idle lever on and ride away slowly, I do.

This is going to sound funny or strange, but do you have lock up garage or own carport? if not then the following might be tricky.
A friend got similar complaints when tuning/endless fixing, his old bike at home, He had a carport out of the weather, an old twin Norton, very loud. His method was basic. and cheap. 2 cardboard boxes, size of microwave oven, stuffed with ceiling fiberglass insulation and a exit hole out the side and a bigger hole out the front for pipes. He just shoved the boxes over the exhausts. As long as the gas can exit and the sound had to change direction it shut the thing up, just don't rev it , he used to say.
Too funny, but eventually, you will be ready to leave, off come the baffle boxes and wake every one in the street up anyway.
At 5.00 AM you say, good luck!

Seriously though, think outside the box, the ends of my Termi exhausts have 48mm or so round tube. anything you could make to slip on your exhaust?, to simulate an extra baffle. something tight enough to not blow off easily, but easy to remove when a distance from home. doesn't have to be fancy but able to fit into bag or something.
Just some thoughts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1) put your stock exhaust back on
2) make your bike run well enough so you can get on it and go immediately.
Even my old carby will start up and go. My Monster, no problem at all. Let’s talk about what’s wrong with your bike that you can’t just get on it and go, that’s the real issue.
Thanks for the suggestions but to answer each:
1. I have stock exhaust with baffles on currently. That's not the issue.
2. I've brought my bike to 3 Ducati service centers and told them of the warm up sequence and they say that it's normal of the bike. The 696 was an in-between of fuel injection of sorts. So it essentially had the fast idle that wasn't a choke but kind of was and requires the 10 minutes warm up sequence at every initial daily start-up. The answer I've been told if I don't want to deal with it is getting a newer bike as it's a normal behavior of the 696 model.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
10 to 15 minutes warm up?? My neighbours would throw rocks at me, even at midday.
Why can't you just leave the fast idle lever on and ride away slowly, I do.

This is going to sound funny or strange, but do you have lock up garage or own carport? if not then the following might be tricky.
A friend got similar complaints when tuning/endless fixing, his old bike at home, He had a carport out of the weather, an old twin Norton, very loud. His method was basic. and cheap. 2 cardboard boxes, size of microwave oven, stuffed with ceiling fiberglass insulation and a exit hole out the side and a bigger hole out the front for pipes. He just shoved the boxes over the exhausts. As long as the gas can exit and the sound had to change direction it shut the thing up, just don't rev it , he used to say.
Too funny, but eventually, you will be ready to leave, off come the baffle boxes and wake every one in the street up anyway.
At 5.00 AM you say, good luck!

Seriously though, think outside the box, the ends of my Termi exhausts have 48mm or so round tube. anything you could make to slip on your exhaust?, to simulate an extra baffle. something tight enough to not blow off easily, but easy to remove when a distance from home. doesn't have to be fancy but able to fit into bag or something.
Just some thoughts.
Love the box suggestion, i.e a diy additional baffle. I could try it but not sure how safe it'd be.

Regarding riding with the fast idle engaged, every thread I've read for the 696 and even the manual say never ride with the fast idle open.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When my new neighbor moved in to the house near me, he left all of the surrounding neighbors a basket with cookie/goodies (chocolates and sweets). His message said something similar to "Hello neighbors, I am happy to be a part of this community. I work at a motorcycle dealership and ride my motorcycle in the morning 5-6 am. It is on the louder side but my goal is to leave my driveway as soon as I can to not disturb you. Hope this gift makes this transition smoother and cant wait to get to know each other". Knowing that he cared made everyone ease off and not get groggy when he leaves in the morning. His Harley is quite loud compared to my M1100 and he does warm it up. We also live in a cul de sac which bunches up everyone together. Anyways, moral of the story is just ease the tension with a thoughtful gift (doesn't have to be expensive). If your neighbors know that you care about how they feel perhaps it will make it easier. Let me know what worked for you!

·
Registered
235 Posts
So it essentially had the fast idle that wasn't a choke but kind of was and requires the 10 minutes warm up sequence at every initial daily start-up.
Absolute rubbish!, the dealers either don't have a clue, or are taking the piss. (Dealers covering their ass with warranty claims.)
It is not a choke, merely moves the throttle to higher revs, the (choke), richer mixture at cold start is controlled by the ECU. the cold start lever is required to keep this richer mixture running.
Sure, absolutely, it's always recommended to warm up the bike before riding it 'hard', but it's perfectly fine if just slow, first gear, crawling away from home. Mixture is rich, (wet fuel), 'hard' riding will wash oil from cylinders and could damage the engine, Yes.
A couple of minutes would be more than enough on an aircooled bike. unless it's minus degrees and snowing. Who rides in that. just don't rev the crap out of it, until warmed up.
Sneak away from home before the rocks start coming...ha..ha..:whistle:

As an example;
water cooled engines take longer to warm up than air cooled bikes.
I have never, ever, in my life witnessed a car owner sit and wait until the car reaches 'normal' operating temperatures before driving. They just hit the starter and drive.
Then again, I live in Australia, never gets too cold to ride/drive here, I have seen snow, just not in Western Aus.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I ride an S4RS. It’s parked in a shed built under my back deck, in the exit from my basement. It has a short Termi can, no packing, very loud. I back the bike out of the shed fully dressed. I start it up. Then I turn it around, put it in gear, and ride away across a slippery when wet lawn and do a right turn and up a 10’ tall dirt hill to the driveway. A little technique is required, a little clutch slippage, not to stall or spin the tire. Then I’m off, in maybe 30 seconds after I fire the bike up. My wife, inside the house, doesn’t even know which bike I took. I’m gone that fast. Get it pointed in the right direction, fire it up, and go !

·
Registered
281 Posts
I back the bike out of the shed fully dressed. I start it up. Then I turn it around, put it in gear, and ride away across a slippery when wet lawn and do a right turn and up a 10’ tall dirt hill to the driveway. A little technique is required, a little clutch slippage, not to stall or spin the tire. Then I’m off, in maybe 30 seconds after I fire the bike up.
I sure wouldn't want to do that LOL.
I back out and turn around on the concrete driveway.
Move my car first so I do not have to go bumping over the grass.
There is no hill.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Not familiar with the 696 but if that’s just a fast idle, you get dressed, get on the bike, start it, put it in gear, and go. Surely( or Shirley) you can keep it from stalling with the throttle until it will idle on its own ? Haven’t you ever ridden a bike with a carburetor ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have always just started and went. Contrary to popular myths handed down over the generations, you no longer need to "warm" the bike up for 10 minutes before you ride. It's not like some old carbureted Suzuki, but even with those bikes, never had an issue putzing around gently for the first 5 minutes with the choke halfway on. To add to friendly neighborliness, push it out to the street and start it there.

Those townhouses reverberate to an insane degree. Starting the bike in there is torture for those who have to sleep. I'd complain about you.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
I’ve had several “daily work rider “ bikes over the years. I started every one of them up and rode away after a few seconds for the oil to circulate. I still have the last one. It’s 20 years old, and I’ve never had an engine problem, never had the carb apart except one jetting change. Don’t beat on it until it warms up and Bobs yer uncle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts