Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I am a newbie (just bought my first bike)...I feel the need to get some advice on this...What exactly is it/does it mean? I was talking to the seller of my bike and he said that if I wanted to open the airbox and drop in a K&N filter, the bike might run a bit lean and I would have to re-dyno it...Where would I get that done? And how much does it cost? Thanks! :-/

·
Registered
849 Posts
Simply put, the bike is strapped onto a machine that measures power output accross the rpm band. Then all variables are tuned until the optimum is received. Ideally, you want to find someone who not only has a dyno, but who also has experience tuning your particular bike. Obivously, this has to be (well, should be) done everytime one of the variables such as exhaust, jet kits, chips, etc has been changed.

I've been quoted between $200 and $300 per dyno hour.

-R.

R

·
0 Posts
It's a little more complicated or more simple then dynoing your bike....it depends how you look at it. You can alter the lean condition without a dyno.
A dealer should be able to hook up a mathesis and richen things up for you so the bike would not run terrible....not the best solution perhaps.
There is also a techlusion box you could buy and or a pcIII and download maps for your partiular mod..or replace the ecu with one from FIM with an appropriate map for your mod.
However if you want your bike to run the best it can, a dyno will certainly help you get there.....
Then your choices are either FIM ultimap or pcIII software on a dyno.
http://www.dynojet.com/lbike.shtml
http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/
There are other ways to invade the system out there but these are the most common....

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see...thanks for the advice!! So I guess if I wanted to do anything else to my bike (performance wise) such as opening the airbox, I would need to get it dynoed and spend like 200-300 bucks on a mod that costs close to nothing? Is this correct? That kinda sucks...Oh well...maybe I'll just leave the airbox uncut, at least until I decide to make a bunch of major changes...

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Not necessarily.

The airbox mos is pretty common. While getting the best from a bike (there's variation from bike to bike), you do typically need to dyno. But if "close enough" is good enough, an experienced shop can set a bike up according to settings that they've found effective on similar bikes with similar mods thereby avoiding the dyno costs.

The more unique your combination of mods become, the less able you are to take advantage of the available database.

The key in any case, is to work with a shop with a depth of experience in Monster mods. In the long run, this costs you less because they don't have to charge you for all the hours put into learning what works and what doesn't.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hrmm...excellent suggestion!!! I'm pretty sure that the bike was dynoed before (by previous owner) b/c of the mods he put on - strati pipe mod and sprocket kit...so I dunno if that will require additional dynoing by just cutting open the airbox (versus, as Don mentioned, just having a professional tweak it out)...

Anybody know of experts of Monsters in the NJ/NYC area? Please send me a PM!! Thanks :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
if you change your air filter, you may want to open the air box (that only depend on you) just need to check the lean which can be made by anybody (same procedure on carb and ie work well) that's the basis.

that a beginning you will head a terrific sound of air intake :eek: part of the desmo sound, for full sound of desmo change your pipe (and recheck the lean offcors)

racing air filter and open exhaust will provide you with more torque at low rpm.

others modification of your fuel intake can be made as said (powercommander ..) but for some one who don't use to go on track that not necessary.

Flavien

R

·
0 Posts
Hrmm...excellent suggestion!!! I'm pretty sure that the bike was dynoed before (by previous owner) b/c of the mods he put on - strati pipe mod and sprocket kit...so I dunno if that will require additional dynoing by just cutting open the airbox (versus, as Don mentioned, just having a professional tweak it out)...

Anybody know of experts of Monsters in the NJ/NYC area? Please send me a PM!! Thanks :)
I would suggest talking to BCM in Laconia NH.
http://www.bcmducati.com/

1 - 8 of 8 Posts