Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 5000miles on my 01 M900 w/ PC2, open airbox/K&N and RoadRacing exhaust. The map I have download is not optimal.

So should I get a custom map made NOW or AFTER the 6000mile service??

S

·
0 Posts
after. the slight difference in valve clearances will make a difference. if you're gonna shell out the scratch to build a custom map, may's well do it right. hell... for that matter, you may want to get your cams dialed to factory spec at the same service.

D

·
0 Posts
Strati and Scott, I'm still slow on the valve lingo. What do you mean by having the cams dialed in to factory spec? What does degree the cams mean. What exactly do they do on the 6000 mi service?

S

·
0 Posts
Strati and Scott, I'm still slow on the valve lingo. What do you mean by having the cams dialed in to factory spec? What does degree the cams mean. What exactly do they do on the 6000 mi service?
i could blather on about it and do a [email protected] job explaining what it's all about, or i can refer you to here:
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performance/camdial.html

it's good read and explained by one of the industry pro's.
setting the cams' degrees to factory spec isn't part of the standard 6k service, but if they're gonna be digging into the motor anyways for valve clearance checks, it may be a good opportunity to get them to do a bit extra labor. get an estimate of how long it should take and use your head on what your wallet can justify. you may be lucky and the cams may be really close (marginal improvment, maybe not at all noticable). but you may be off enough for it to make a good difference in how the bike rides.

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Just as a data point, I very recently did the valve clearance adjustment on my S4. I didn't notice any change in performance, maybe it ran a little smoother. But I was off the bike for a month, so YMMV.
--------------------
P.S. - I did the PCIII, that was a noticeable improvement in itself.
Did the dyno tune, and it was more than that much better yet again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts