Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've got everything together and she runs like a dream. I noticed as soon as I started her up though that the tach is reading really really high.

I've installed the dyna coil kit from Ca-Cycleworks, and am using the add-on Ducati performance tach. Has anyone re-tuned their tachs to work with the dyna kit? In-lin cap maybe?

-dj

S

·
0 Posts
Make sure you are hooked to the right wire. The Dyna kit doesn't do anything to alter the way the stock ignition system works. It just replaces the weak components.

I am hoping that the DP tach runs off the primary side of the coil like all the other tachs. Either way, it still shouldn't affect tach readout.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've double checked the wiring and all is good. The tach is working, but readings are much higher than they should be. I'm guess the higher output of the coils is causing some weirdness. I'm thinking I might have to add an in-line capacitor to bring readings into spec.

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
innnnnteresting. i can't really imagine how it would change the reading on the tach... it should be a frequency counter.

BUT ... i guess it's possible that the signal to the coil primary is ringing and this is setting up harmonics that the tach is catching. in this case, the tach would read some multiple of actual... 2x, 3x, etc. if you could bum an o'scope, you could look at it. oddly, when i was doing my r&d, i never arsed to look at the input signal with the dyna coils installed!

in this case, i'm not sure what you'd want to do... a cap may act as a buffer, but i wonder if you'd instead want to try resistors mounted in series with the tach. i do not think a R-C network to ground (acting as a filter) would help at all, as it would probably shunt the input altogether!

anyway, if you DO find a solution by trial and error, it would be great to add this to the ever expanding file of good things to know. many folsk have problems with their tachs without dyna coils!!

good luck,
chris

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ha! I love being a guinea pig. ;D

I'll dig into it a bit more tomorrow when I have some time. I'm not real worried, but I wanted to be sure I didn't take the engine over 5500 for the next 600 miles due to the newly installed pistons.

And of course, wouldn't ya know it? It's raining. And it not supposed to clear up for another week. :mad: So, she'll sit in the garage for the next week anyhoot, so I don't mind fiddling with the tach setup.

I'll try to get ahold of a scope, but I'm not sure how successful I'll be. I'll keep ya posted though!

btw, got a few pics posted up at http://www.fokust.com/gallery/album84 showing the work. I love the pic showing the stock and Dyna coil next to each other.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I installed a DP tachometer and later on a pair of the Dyna coils on my '97 M900 along with better spark plug wires and NGK connectors.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, so it turns out the wires were a bit crossed from moving things around. Apparently, the previous owner simply stripped the ends of the wires and stuck them into the plugs. Yeck! I pulled the plugs apart and soldered everything in nice and neat. Tach seems to run perfectly now.

So... Finally got some dry weather here and decided to take the bike into work today. WOW WOW WOW!!!!!

Damn Chris!! I didn't know a monter could be soooo smooth!!! Downshifting is soo clean and smooth. No jerks at all. Power and torque seems to be unlimited. I had to fight to keep the front wheel down! Had to adjust all my shift points. This is a whole new bike!!

Now, here I am with this big smile on my face, sitting at the light about to take off onto the freeway, when I smell gasoline? I look under the tank and see a steady drip of fuel dropping onto the horizontal cylinder! Yikes! I pulled off the road immediatly to check things out and after poking around a bit, it seems I didn't get the carb adapters (head inlet side) screwed in tight enough. Damnnit Don! Took her home and will have to oull the airbox and carbs tonight to tighten them down. Long story short, I love my 'new' bike, just gotta workout the PEBKAC errors... :p

Ah well, guess I should have known I'd miss something. Everything went together so nice and she started up so clean.

Would you suggest using some 'sealant' style loctite on the threads of the adapters, or just crank them down tighter?

-dj

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
i use grease.

also, if fuel is pouring out...
- the fuel is connected to the "bottom" thingy, right? close to the float bowls? not the top one?
- there may be some sediment or trash on one of the float needle valves. that would cause extra fuel flow and raw gasoline to drip out.

FCRs are awesome...

:) chris

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the airbox off today and re-installed the adapters. Used a little all-purpose grease on the threads and cranked them on tight using one of those rubber, wrench thingies they sell at Sears. The wife bought it for me a loooong time ago at a sale, but I could never find a use for it (besides opening pickles jars). Worked great though!

My baby is up and running again. Sounds soo nice and smoooth.

Now, if only the rain would stop..... [smiley=mad.gif]

Thanks for the input Chris et al. This board is so awesome.

R

·
0 Posts
I had the opposite problem.

My DP Tach was DOA when I bought my bike used (with only 1100 miles on it)

I swapped in the Dyna Coils and NGK wires.

Bike runs much better in 1st gear and lower RPM's.

Now the tach works when the RPMs hit over 5000.

Wierd. But hey....who cares!
As long as the bike starts and runs, I stopped worrying about my tach.

But it is nice every now and again to see it up at 7000!!!

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does the whole bar light up, or just the leds past 5k? If it's just the leds past 5k, then there's probably a short or broken connection inside the unit somewhere. Me, I can't leave stuff like that alone, I would be tearing it apart to figger it out. ;D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts