Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tire choices have been narrowed down to the Dunlop D208ZR or the Michelin Pilot Sport? I was wondering if I could run the stock Dunlop front with a new rear Dunlop D208ZR? what do you all think? My stock front still has almost 100% tread on it.

H

·
0 Posts
Deb, the 208's are a completely different handling tire. I know someone who tried the same thing, and ended up changing the front, too. Then, after all the expense, he hated the tires.

Now, I can tell you from experience, the Pilot sports are awesome, but don't discount the Pilot Road as an alternative. They have great grip, wet and dry, plus they have great mileage. You ride a lot, and probably in the rain as well, so I may suggest you look into the Roads.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Herb, FBF did suggest the Pilot Roads at first , then when I told him about the track day he suggested the Sport? I want a good tire with good grip(wet & dry) and good milage. I hopefully will be doing a few track days.

H

·
0 Posts
There are a few people here who have track days on Pilot Roads, and claim they grip very well. Maybe the thing to do, would be to get a set of 1 day old race "take-offs" for the track days, and save your street tires for the street. I have a couple sets of Pilot Race tires I bought for that reason. Paid less than $100 per set, with about 90% life left. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The stock tire on my 620 rear is 160/60-VR 17, can it fit a bigger tire and are there any advantages to that?

H

·
0 Posts
I wouldn't try to squeeze a fatter tire on the 4.5" rim, it'll change the profile of the tire. Plus, it'll turn in a bit slower. Your bike really doesn't need a wider tire. The GP 250 bikes run a 160, if I'm not mistaking... but I could be...

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help Herb!! ;D

·
Premium Member
1,966 Posts
Be sure to check out the new Michelin Pilot Power, its an evololution of and will replace the Pilot Sport.

·
Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, no! now another one to choose from :p, I sort of ruled out the dunlop and was deciding between the Michelin Pilot Road or Sport

At the [email protected] dealership today the CBR's had Pilot Sports as their stock tire and the 599 had Pilot Roads.

S

·
0 Posts
personally, I loved the 208zr on my R6. Also had them on my S4. No issues. Now I'm running 207RR since they werew $150 a pair :)

next up is the mich

V

·
0 Posts
I just put 208s on my bike yesterday and so far they are great will see how they feel 1500 miles from now...

R

·
0 Posts
If you want good grip in the wet stay away from the 208's Deb.
Plus you may not their like the triangulated profile.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Why not try the Pirelli Diablo? Buy a rear before the end of March and get a free ($20 shipping) front. I just ordered mine. Rode a FZ-1 with them at Daytona and they felt pretty good.

I run the Pilot Sports now and they offer all the traction a Monster will ever need on the street. Fine for track days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts